FINALLY! Got G10 Underwater...Pictures Posted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using the G9 for a while and i suggest the following settings;
1.Use RAW. Much better for post editing on PC after dive. Setting white balance is not so important if you shoot in raw. If you shoot Jpeg, WB setting is important
2. Iso is fine at 80 or 100, try not to go above 200 due to noise.
3. Shoot Manual and use the live histogram to give you an indication on current exposure. (Practise on land and this becomes very easy to do).
4. Do not set shutter speed to less than 1/100s. Hard to get good sharp photos if less than this due to camera shake, fish moving etc.
I normally range shutter speed between 1/120-1/200,depending on available light.
5. Try to set aperature between 4.0-5.0 (In macro use 8.0),again depends on available light.
6. Use manual focus for macro subjects once you become familure with your set up. Manual focus is much better.

Last edited:
I use two DS 51 Ikelite strobes. Obviously the larger strobes would be better under certain situations. The Ikelite housing does allow the full use of all camera buttons, and also allows the lens to fully extend and retract. I have no gripes with the case. I do find the zoom dial a little awkward to use underwater...but that has more to do with where Canon put the zoom, not how Ikelite designed it.

I think you have just decided me: I was debating on the G-10 and Ikelite housing, but I think my mind is made up now. Thanks.
What strobe do you have, and does the housing allow full use of the wide angle?

Kevster. Do you think those settings would work good even without strobes?

1.Use RAW. Much better for post editing on PC after dive. Setting white balance is not so important if you shoot in raw. If you shoot Jpeg, WB setting is important
3. Shoot Manual and use the live histogram to give you an indication on current exposure. (Practise on land and this becomes very easy to do).
4. Do not set shutter speed to less than 1/100s. Hard to get good sharp photos if less than this due to camera shake, fish moving etc.
I normally range shutter speed between 1/120-1/200,depending on available light.
5. Try to set aperature between 4.0-5.0 (In macro use 8.0),again depends on available light.
6. Use manual focus for macro subjects once you become familure with your set up. Manual focus is much better.

Got my G10 recently with the Ikelite Housing and DS-160 strobe and shot some pictures at several of the Florida caves recently. Look forward in getting another strobe for the really dark areas of the cave. Enjoyed using the power adjustment on the camera to power the flash settings. Came in handy on bad vis areas.

John P.

Attachments

• AbovetheEar.jpg
    AbovetheEar.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 204
  • Blind.Crayfish.jpg
    Blind.Crayfish.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 214
  • Lips.jpg
    Lips.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 187
  • InsideOut1.jpg
    InsideOut1.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 206
You said you weren't able to use the TTL for these shots. Did it not function? I've got the G9 with Ike housing and dual 125 strobes and a couple of times I've had problems with the TTL not working. It should work in aperture, but not in manual. If I'm setting my strobes manually, I like to use at least 1/80 of a second for the shutter and usually use 6.3, 7.1, or 8 for my f-stop, as I get more drama with only the subject being lit up that way--also, get blue water instead of white spots when shooting up. My latest pics are posted @ Mel Moncrieff's Photo Galleries at pbase.com Turks Caicos Gallery. On this trip, the TTL quit working so I shot all manual. Wish I had a G10--Ike is now making a dome port that slips on even underwater that should be great. Check out their website.

Mel

Thanks for the info on manual focus. I have a G7. What about the custom settings and the my colors - where you you find is the best saturation and sharpness or I suppose since you are shooting RAW that is all taken care of in post production?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom