Finally - a dive!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
[font=&quot]Hey Sean, Roy, Terry.............and gang!!
I can finally post a dive - it's only been since October 16th at 2:39pm but who's counting??!!
LOL
[/font]

[font=&quot]
Date: 1/21/05[/font]
[font=&quot][/font]

[font=&quot] [/font][font=&quot][/font]

[font=&quot]Location: Montreal (Quebec, Canada)[/font][font=&quot][/font]

[font=&quot]Time: 8:35 pm[/font][font=&quot][/font]

[font=&quot]Dive Length: 47 minutes[/font][font=&quot][/font]

[font=&quot]Max Depth: 50 ft.[/font][font=&quot][/font]

[font=&quot]Water Temp at Depth: 88 degrees[/font][font=&quot][/font]

Although some of the gang up here (and many others I don’t know) are into ice diving…..I don’t have a dry suit yet !! So, my diving is quite limited – and very envious of all those dive reports I read, sometimes daily – bad viz and all LOL!!

So, 10 of us booked time at the pool at the Olympic installation in Montreal. There is a pool there that is 50 ft deep and the bottom is about 40’x20’. At 30 ft there is a large ledge (+/- 40’x 8-10’) and another one at 15 ft – so the surface diameter (pool is round on surface) is larger than the rectangle we have at depth.

The Viz was great (grin)…weights and tank were supplied with the dive ($20) but weights were scarce so I handed out the few I had found to my buddies…..they were diving in 5mm and 3mm suits. Being my first time here I wasn’t too sure on the water but my guys (I tend to be a solo gal here most of the time) convinced me to just go in my bathing suit. I was down about 20 ft and notice that I wasn’t “dropping” as usual…..then on the bottom I realized that I never did deal with my own weights! It worked out just fine with my BC and bathing suit – I had brought both open fins and full-foot fins and so had opted to use the booties and regular fins since I didn’t have any suit on. I was perfectly neutral in the water at depth – it was the most free dive I’ve ever done! What a treat! Me and my BC and tank!! Woo-hoo!! I felt like a mermaid on life-support. J We played games, shot a Frisbee and a weighted rocket, tried to toss a golf ball around but it weighed nothing! There were two life-size 3D dolphin silhouettes on the bottom you could move about and a large fish tank sort of plastic kelp (4 ft tall) – funny after diving last Sept in the real thing!! There were some funky moon-looking rocks and other slate/flat-type ones in one corner and we made cool stuff with those……..did some summersaults and just plain had fun. Went through ALL my air (don’t want to ever see my fuel gauge that low……..actually, more to the point don’t want to ever see my pressure gauge that low again!) twice as fast as usual (we’ve done 40-50 ft dives and timed 70-80 minutes in the past) so this was short but oh, so sweet! One of the guys even taught me how to blow those doughnut bubbles. J

Ahhhhh, it was good to be in the water again. We’re doing it again next month…….won’t get any open water diving in until early May – even then they will be short dives as the water will still be around 48-50 degrees F. (shiver!!) For now, we’ll just enjoy the tropical pool. J

Cheryl

Cheryl,

I'm surprised that no one has built a monster pool like that in the Los Angeles area. It would provide a great place to work on skills when conditions are dismal due to the problems brought about by heavy rain in the area.

Of course, our diving on a bad day sounds more convenient than your frozen tundra dives! :11:

Christian

LOL Frozen tundra today but.......... Christian, the funny thing is that the grass will be green in May and sometimes we have a heat wave of 80+ degrees but the water is still oh, so cold!! Some guys dive dry......not having pennies for that yet I wear a 7mm full Bare and a 7mm Bare hooded shorty and stay toasty warm - no probs! Similar temp to the water down your way at depth........It was 56 F on the Yukon in August - we may bite the bullet this time of year but in the summer we rule!! No thermocline...........80 degrees at 130 ft - yah baaaby!!

QUOTE=headhunter]Cheryl,

I'm surprised that no one has built a monster pool like that in the Los Angeles area. It would provide a great place to work on skills when conditions are dismal due to the problems brought about by heavy rain in the area.

Of course, our diving on a bad day sounds more convenient than your frozen tundra dives! :11:

Christian[/QUOTE]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom