Fin & snorkel problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

micknewton

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife had a couple problems with her near gear during our OW certification dives in Puerto Vallarta recently.

At the end of our first dive, we were in a current and had to drift for several minutes while the boat was brought to pick us up. While finning to keep away from the waves breaking on the rocks, my wife lost her left fin. I quickly switched to my regulator and was able to dive down and grab it. It must have been close to neutrally buoyant because it hadn’t sunk very far below her foot. Since I was down there I helped her put it back on, and I noticed that the strap hadn’t disconnected, it just came loose. I think what happened was she accidentally kicked the strap adjustment button located on the outside of the attachment point, which let the strap loosen enough for the fin to fall off. These are brand new Oceanic Vortex V-12 fins. Has this ever happened to you? Is there a way to prevent this from happening again?

The other problem Becky had was loosing her Oceanic Ultradry snorkel during the backwards roll entry off the boat. It happened twice on consecutive dives. Luckily, we got the snorkel back both times after the dives. I’m not sure, but I think she was knocking the snorkel off with her hand as she hit the water. I have the exact same snorkel and didn’t have any problems with it. The snorkel has a plastic clip that fits over the mask strap. What can we do to prevent this from happening again? Is there a way to mount the snorkel to the mask strap with a more positive attachment, yet still be easily removed when desired?

micknewton:
Is there a way to mount the snorkel to the mask strap with a more positive attachment, yet still be easily removed when desired?

Replace the plastic snorkle keeper with a rubber or neoprene one: clickie

A 99 cent solution. :)

As for the fin straps issue - no I've never had that happen to me. But I've also switched to spring fin staps. Easier to put on and will never break.

Neoprene might not work if the top of the snorkle can't be removed from the pipe/tube. The rubber version stretch a great deal. Again, for 99 cents it's worth a shot.

Take the dry snorkel and run over it with your SUV and then go buy a correct open tube snorkel with rubber keeper or get a fold away snorkel for her BC pocket or better yet throw the snorkel away and do without. N

Nemrod:
Take the dry snorkel and run over it with your SUV and then go buy a correct open tube snorkel with rubber keeper or get a fold away snorkel for her BC pocket or better yet throw the snorkel away and do without. N
I find swimming in surface crop much easier with a snorkel, and even easier with a dry snorkel. On the dives where Becky lost her snorkel, she ended up choaking and swallowing a lot of seawater at the surface. I finally made her put her regulator back in her mouth. A foldup snorkel might be a good idea. but I haven't seen one yet. How do you use one? Do you attach it to your mask, or..?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom