fin recommendations...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a set of Tusa Zoom3 splits and I have a pair of Saekodive full foot paddles. The only reason I bought the Tusa's was because I can't fit my booties inside my full foot paddles for cold water.

I noticed this past weekend that I'm significantly more "foot heavy" with the Tusa's than with my paddles so I'm looking for some recommendations for somewhat lighter fins with an open heel.

Any suggestions? I have no idea what fins are light and what aren't so I'm looking to narrow the field a little before really digging in to try a few. I don't particularly care if the fins are splits or paddles.

I don't particularly care if the fins are splits or paddles.

You will, young Padawan. You will!

these_are_not_the_droids.jpg

I have myself scubapro twin jet (split fins ) ok , but no ok ... very large fins , then I go on turtle ( like them very much but I have problem with large foot pocket ) switch rock boots - priceless feeling . Very powerfull fin! but also can be very gentle.
For summer time I use them also with surfing shoes (camaro)

I am confused... is the issue:

1) The buoyancy characteristics of the fins? (weight is irrelevant).

OR

2) The thrust efficiency (ease of kicking) of the fins?

Also, what is your price range?

Scuba Diving magazines top rated fin for 2010.....

I'm extremely suspicious of any magazine/site that posts reviews which don't list both pros and cons of the reviewed item. Neither does it offer any like-for-like comparitive analysis with its competitors. That reads more like an advert to me and I'd trust it as such.

The fin is 'fast'. The 'fastest'. That's not a feature that many divers seek in a fin. Those that do are usually the ones who whine about not seeing stuff or constantly ask how to improve their SAC...

I've not dived with that fin, so I won't comment on it's performance... but for $189 there are a lot of well proven competitors that should also be considered.

I am confused... is the issue:

1) The buoyancy characteristics of the fins? (weight is irrelevant).

OR

2) The thrust efficiency (ease of kicking) of the fins?

Also, what is your price range?

You're correct... it's the buoyancy of the fins, not so much the weight. The TUSAs seem to drag my feet down in the water whereas I have much better trim with the saekodive fins.

Thrust efficiency isn't a big factor for me at this point. I suspect any fin I go with will take some adjustment period and then I'll settle into it and find that happy ground that gives me the performance I want. I do think I have less ankle and knee soreness with splits, but as I said, I'm ambivalent about it either way.

Price range isn't really as relevant, though I find paying hundreds of dollars for fins ridiculous. As example, I got my TUSAs for $60. I got my paddles for $25 with my mask and snorkel, but that was in Thailand, so I don't really expect the same price here in the US. Let's say less than $150 as a reasonable budget.

Look at these......

ScubLab: Fins - SCUBAPRO Seawing Nova | Scuba Diving

Scuba Diving magazines top rated fin for 2010.....

Hope this helps...M

Thanks for the link. I agree with DevonDiver on this one, though... this reads more like an advertisement than an actual review. That's the problem I had with my initial searches, no comparison reviews that I could find. I'm specifically looking for the buoyancy characteristics so I don't go "feet down" in trim and that information is rarely given by the buyer reviews but none of the "professional" reviews I've seen are even good at covering their biases.

I'd recommend investigating Force Fin Pros. They are at the top end of your budget, but are a truly fantastic fin in all respects.

I've had mine for the last 2500 or so dives. They take all the strain from your legs and allow a high degree of control. I'd say they are arguably the most efficient (effort-thrust) fin on the market in your price range. It feels wierd when you first wear them, because it really doesn't feel as if you have any fins on at all. I suffer badly from calf cramps, but never had that problem once with the FFs. The bungee straps make a real difference when it comes to taking them on and off. They are short, so easy for packing. You can buy inserts if you want to dive them bare-footed, although I recommend some lightweight booties.

I recommend you try them...you might just like them...:)

Best fin I have used to date.......

M

Back
Top Bottom