Fin length vs. my height

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sugar water

Registered
Reaction score
I am in the market for fins and am new to scuba diving.

I am 5'1" 108lb.

Aside from fin designs, does the length of the fin affect my ability to propel myself as much the stiffness of the fin?

I've been looking at Aqualung's Slingshot and Hotshot and do not know if fin length matters due to being of a shorter stature.

read some of the data, shorter more flexible fins without exception outperform longer stiffer ones, however the same testing asked the diver to rank the fins based on their "feel", nearly every one of the divers ranked the top performing fins as the lowest having no idea what the results showed.

For example I have a pair of fins that is merely 12 inches long, including the foot pocket that outperforms most fins with 12" blades. Then I have a pair that is about 24" long overall that beat the performance of long blade freedive blades.

Lol, sorry, I do not know much about types of blades and how they perform.

I guess a better question would be, due to being a petite person, would the size of the paddle affect the amount of work I put into propelling myself in the water?

For example, if I bought a 24"+ fin, would I find myself having a harder time kicking versus buying a shorter fin that looks more proportional to my height and weight?

Or does fin length not matter with height/weight?

The image of me wearing fins half my height kind of seems weird, which is why I am inquiring to see if it was normal to be buying 24"+ inch fins.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom