Fin help - open heel fins that fit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just ordered, and received, an open heel fin with a spring strap in Sherwood's smallest size. I tried it on, bootless, and there was more than an inch gap between my heel and the strap. I need to buy boots, since I need gear to dive in cooler waters, and was planning on going to my LDS to try them on. Based on conversations I've had, I really doubt the fins will fit once I try them on with the boots. So, my question for you ladies, is what fins do you use for cooler water/cold water diving? Do spring straps work? My shoe size is 7.5-8 US, so it's not on the small size. The only fins I own are full foot pocket, Aqualung, in the small size.

My feet are ladies size 5/youth size 3 - tiny. I wear medium (the smallest) UTD Precision fins with shortened spring straps and they fit perfectly. Love them!
I used to wear medium jetfins (the smallest) with XS Scuba 8 inch spring straps and the foot pockets were a little wide for me.
Before that I wore xs/s Tusa X-pert Zoom fins and they only fit with XS Scuba 8 inch spring straps. The foot pockets were a little big and floppy with the original straps.
Before that (14 years ago) I used to wear Avanti Quattro fins which were a little big and heavy, and flopped around on my foot.

Yes, spring straps work to customize a fin to your boot, and are typically more durable and quicker to put on/take off.

At a size 7.5/8, you should fit into most fin brands and the boot makes a lot of difference. A hard soled boot will take up more space while a soft bootie will take less space. You really need to try the boots and fins together to see how they fit.

The length of the spring strap also makes a difference and the length you choose may depend on the attachment point and depth and width of the foot pocket.

Some boots also have a bump behind the heel to hold the strap securely in place so it doesn't slip.

Personally, I use the same boots and fins for my usual cold water diving as well as warm water diving because I prefer to keep boots on before/after/between boat/shore diving. I have full foot fins, but haven't used them in many years.

Hope that helps.

I just ordered, and received, an open heel fin with a spring strap in Sherwood's smallest size. I tried it on, bootless, and there was more than an inch gap between my heel and the strap. I need to buy boots, since I need gear to dive in cooler waters, and was planning on going to my LDS to try them on. Based on conversations I've had, I really doubt the fins will fit once I try them on with the boots. So, my question for you ladies, is what fins do you use for cooler water/cold water diving? Do spring straps work? My shoe size is 7.5-8 US, so it's not on the small size. The only fins I own are full foot pocket, Aqualung, in the small size.

My feet are slightly smaller (7 US). I found a drysuit and size XL XSScuba turtle fins to work (the smallest size). Part of the reason my drysuit comes with me on warm water diving is because of the fin issue.

As I recall, Lynne(TSandM) was fond of the Dive Rite XTs, which come in Small. Spring straps definitely work. I'd give the guys at Dive Gear Express a call to help with sizing.

Last edited:
I am a european 40, I think it is size 9 US, I wear Scubapro Jetfins XL with a Medium scuba pro spring strap. These will be slightly tight with my drysuit, and just ever so slightly loose with my boots when I am using them in warmer waters.

I wear a US size 8 shoe, and dive with Apollo Bio Fins with a spring strap, size small. I probably should have gone with an XS to allow for a smaller caribbean bootie, but with the higher profile zip booties they are perfect.

I have a size US 8 shoe and have two pairs of fins. My warm water fins are Scubapro jetfins in size M and I wear neoprene boots with them. My cold water fins are XS scuba turtle fins in XL to fit my drysuit boots! I have spring straps on both. I used to just wear my turtle fins on warm water dives but one of them fell off because they were just slightly too big. They are really heavy so it just sunk to the bottom and luckily it was a shallow bottom but I did not want to lose them in the future!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom