Fin Fit For Odd Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaNube

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have an odd shaped foot which makes fin and shoe buying a matter of difficult choices. I have decided on the Talaria IST split fins but since my foot is long and thin, the Xtra Large has a lot of space on the sides and the Large leaves about three inches of my heel sticking out. What is more important, a fin that fits better side to side or has most of your foot in the fin? Is having a few inches of heel outside the fin a problem? Both fins feel OK on my feet, but I like the snugger fit of the Large.

If you wear a boot with a very stiff sole, the depth of the fin matters less. Take good ole' ScubaPro Jets for example, on most feet they only come to the arch, having a solid footbed depends largely upon the boots worn inside the fins.

Aloha, Tim

ScubaNube:
I have an odd shaped foot which makes fin and shoe buying a matter of difficult choices. I have decided on the Talaria IST split fins but since my foot is long and thin, the Xtra Large has a lot of space on the sides and the Large leaves about three inches of my heel sticking out. What is more important, a fin that fits better side to side or has most of your foot in the fin? Is having a few inches of heel outside the fin a problem? Both fins feel OK on my feet, but I like the snugger fit of the Large.

The twin jet split fins have an open toe design and will allow you to get more of your foot into the fin. The open toe design keeps my legs from cramping and my toes don't get jammed up in the toe pocket.

Hey ScubaNube

In a perfect world boots and fins should be bought as a matched set (not by brand, color or style but by a "matched fit"). A matched fit is obtained by trying different styles and thicknesses of boots with different styles and sizes of fins. After all, if a $200 pair of fins does not fit well it will cramp your toes, arch and calf worse than a $74 pair that fits correctly.

The best fit of a fin is accomplished when the very first inch of fin foot pocket (top) fits snuggly (snug to tight) across the top part of your instep (dorsum of the foot) as close to the bend in your ankle as possible without going up the ankle (while your leg and toes are pointed out to simulate a swimming position).

A couple of quick hints:
1. The toes should not contact the end of the foot pocket.
2. Your heel should be 1" to 2" off the back of the fin’s striker plate (sticking out of the back of the fin)
3. It should not be tight on the balls (sides) of your feet
4. Have some one else compare the fit (tightness) across the Dorsum of your foot for a good comparison.
5. When the Dolphins come by and you do 3 or 4 "100 yard dashes" to keep up, 99% of the performance and comfort will come from fit (no blister/cramping) and 1% will come from design, technology and style.

Good Luck with your next Adventure.

Britt :fish:
:fish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom