Filter Packing for Dummies-questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi All,

My neighbor and I have a case of the blind leading the blind. We will be packing his converted steel hydraulic actuator (nixed the aluminum accumulator from a previous thread.) Therefore the process of purchasing felt, AC, and MS has begun. Going to various vendor sites has me dithering over what may or may not be trivial choices. I’m here to ask the gurus opinion on the advantages/disadvantages over a few items. Please give me the pluses and minuses for the following.

Felt: Polyester vs. Wool

Molecular Sieve: Most post I’ve read here have recommended 13x I suppose that is a size. Is there also a choice material I should be looking for?

Activated Carbon: Basically the same question as above.

Of course, we’re looking for vendor recommendations too. I’ve ordered felt pads, MS, and AC from: Scuba Compressor.com and they were very helpful-if all goes well there will be a next time; but we would appreciate alternated sources. I’ve seen Frogman’s post re felt at McMaster-that’s just the sort of ideas I’m looking for.

TIA,

Couv

@couv - our PM exchange showed you some sources, and if you look a little at those, you will see 13x MS comes in various sizes. I linked you directly to the proper size one (extremely small particles). Of concern regarding sources is that there are "industrial uses" for MS, and "breathing air" uses for MS. There has been some evidence of contaminants in MS that is not laboratory grade or from suppliers of breathing air systems. Be careful there...

There has been some evidence of contaminants in MS that is not laboratory grade or from suppliers of breathing air systems. Be careful there...
Exactly the type of info I'm looking for.

13x MS comes in various sizes.

OK so 13x is not a size. What does the "13x" indicate?

Here is another piece of the puzzle. Some sites, like:
Activated Carbon Coconut Shell Based - Granular
Show 3 different size AC granules. 4x8, 6x12, 12/40 which one would be the most suitable?

don't forget hopcalite

for the MS, look for a laboratory supplier that can get you the 5A size in medical grade. and ideally, you would have access to a muffler oven to activate them, but for 5A, broil setting on a home oven sort of works. or vacuum drying them if you have a vacuum pump.

for the activated carbon, it depends also on your compressor setup. need to balance the surface area with the flow rate and filter size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom