MCH 6 questions - Ratio of 13X and Carbon in Filter and Storing Compressor on an angle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tony Pr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good afternoon wise folk of ScubaBoard. I have two questions surrounding filtration for my Coltri MCH6.

I have the 13X and carbon to perform a filter re-pack. I initially was planning on using similar ratios to the existing filter (1 part carbon, 2 parts 13X). But looking at the www.scubaegineer.com ( Stephen e Burton BSc(hons) C.Eng., MIET)’s spreadsheet, the 13x lifetime when using the standard MCH6 MS/AC Standard Filter amounts of Carbon (20 grams) and 13x (25 grams), is significantly lower than the carbon (2.04 hours for 13x vs 50 hours for carbon).

It appears that you would be able to use a filter for longer if you put more 13X in and less carbon. Trying to game the spreadsheet, 3 grams of carbon and 42 grams of 13x would give the longest filter performance (assuming roughly even densities), but I feel this is not enough carbon. I understand that once the 13x is fully used, the water coats the carbon and makes it useless.

I am not using hopcalite as I run an electric compressor (and test for CO too just to be sure).

TL;DR 1: Does anyone when repacking filters use this spreadsheet to try and get the maximum lifetime out of their filters by changing the ratio of carbon to 13-X? If so what ratio do you run with and why?

With the MCH6, I have just replaced the 4th stage piston and housing, as the old one was worn. From my reading, the thing which can kill these is when the compressor is left for a long period and the water which inevitably penetrates the synthetic oil sinks to the bottom of the sump (where the 4th stage is located). I understand the water corrodes the 4th stage when it sits there for a while.

TL;DR 2 Could the compressor be stored propped up on one side, to make the lowest point be somewhere in the housing with the water running to it, rather than at the 4th stage? Any issues with this?

Thank you.

Tony

I'm going to bump this thread to hopefully get some answers as I have the exact same questions. I recently got the same compressor (although a gas engine to power) and love having it, but want to make sure I am doing it right.

Tony, what ratio have you been using? I have been using 3:1, but only because it looked similar to a filter pack I purchased and I think I read it somewhere on this forum.

Hi @pizzajohn.

I have been using the same ratio to the purchased filter pack as well. I marked the filter on the outside where the carbon and 13X comes up to (as well as the felt pads and springs). I just fill to the approximate same level. I don't use hopcalite as I run an electric motor.

I started out weighing the filters and trying to work out how much moisture each had adsorbed, but now just change after 15 fills.

As per this thread 13X molecular sieve storage life, I dry the 13X out in the oven before use for a few hours (my supplier may have had it for a while on the shelf) before use.

I don't re-use the 13X. I have taken to storing the oven dried 13X in glass jars (with the pop lids so you can tell they have sealed) in the quantity I think that I will need for each filter change. That way no moisture will get in and I don't have to use the oven as often.

As for storing on an angle, I don't bother. I just try and run it regularly (which means having to dive regularly :wink:)

Back
Top Bottom