Filter? or correct color when editing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no1cr500racer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new at this underwater video and photography, but I am really enjoying it so far. I have a question of whether it is better to use a red filter right from the start, or to not use one at all, and correct the color when editing? My reason for wondering, is the light loss from using the filter, is it worth it? again, I am new at this, and have only done 3 videos with a Helmet hero Hd, with a Uk light I made a diffusor for to spread the light, still learning, but could use some help from those more experienced, thanks, Mike

Use a physical filter for a few reasons:

1. Less editing needed
2. Software editing always takes guesses, and in the sofware editing programs I've used, it often guesses strangely, whereas the physical filter is consistent.
3. When ever I enable software filtering/editing, there are always certain attributes that aren't as crisp as they were.

Let the filter do all the heavy lifting and use color correction when necessary.

Unless you are using video lights then it's best to use a red filter during daytime dives. Editing programs can't add the red back into the video if it isn't there to begin with. What's equally important is to white-balance as conditions changeunderwater if your cam has provisions for MWB. If not then there are some editing programs that can auto white balance during editing; Corel Ulead being one of them. This little item saves a lot of time and frustration when correcting color.

Thanks, I was worried about a filter robbing too much light, but i did notice when I tried to add red it didnt have a natural look, so I guess it will be a red filter for me. Is there a special one? have a number or anything? like I said, its all new to me. thanks again, Mike

I'm not aware that there are different shades or intensity filters. I guess you'd have to check with the manufacturer of your housing to see what fits. They may offer one. Just know that there are different color filters, too. There are red ones for fairly clear (tropical) waters and then there are those for "green" water such as quarries and such. These tend to be more of an orange color.

I just happened to know a little bit when I looked at housings a few years ago so my housing has a filter built in that can be flipped in or out of position. All of my diving is in those clear warm tropical waters and I use the filter almost exclusively at all depths down to 140 feet. Yes there is some light loss down there and I don't even own video lights. Colors are for the most part pretty vivid down to at least 60-80 feet depending on water clarity, sunlight/cloudiness, and depth. A red filter can add so much to the video that sometimes in editing I actually tone down the colors as they are too vivid and look unnatural, but as I said, you cannot add RED to video that has none to begin with. That's why you may see some videos that are nothing but blue or greenish (I hate that).

Agree with the above but just keep a couple of thoughts in mind. 0 to 15 ft is going to be way too pink in decent light with a filter. So hopefully you have a switch on/off for the filter. Second, be aware of the sun. Shooting into the sun will go pink. These, are almost impossible to get out post-production. Third, if you do get lights, lights and filters don't go together. When you get close enough for the lights to illuminate the subject, the red filter will make the subject turn pink. If you have a flip-type filter you can move between both. Thanks about it from me....

I can only speak to one company that I am familiar with and that is URPro Filters. As far as color, they have three filter options. From 1-25' they have a shallow water Cyan that filters the Cyan colors out of the blue water. For 25-130' They suggest a Cyan filter that is slightly darker in color than the shallow water but the same orange/red color which filters Cyan colors, and they also have a freshwater filter for the more greenish waters. All of the feedback we have gotten from our customers tells us it is way easier to pull some of the red out, than it is to do the reverse to compensate for a red filter. I will have some of the screen shots on our website to show you soon. Snake River Prototyping, LLC.. URPro offers these filters in many shapes and sizes, we went with them as we think they are of the highest quality, and withstood very high pressures. I think Ikelyte uses them as well. You can see the difference on the URPro website as well.

fwiw,
I've stopped using filters in favour of doing a white balance at depth and I've been very pleased with the results. I've also found the "underwater" setting on both my cameras, (HV20 and G12), to be useless at any depth I shoot at.

fwiw,
I've stopped using filters in favour of doing a white balance at depth and I've been very pleased with the results. I've also found the "underwater" setting on both my cameras, (HV20 and G12), to be useless at any depth I shoot at.

I haven't used any filters yet will try some some soon, but white balancing wouldn't help the lack of colour in videos. I think a filter and white balance need to be used together but once you get to certain depths even a red filter wont help. Its just the way that water works and no matter what unless you bring down your own portable sun or something very close to it lol then its going to be compromise.

Even with great video lights the image will turn blue a certain distance from the light source, I've seen a few videos and its amazing how its pretty much an exact point where there is colour then it goes blue at depth.

fwiw,

I never thought skipping the red filter could be corrected by white balance alone. This astounds me that it's even a possibility. I'll have to try it out on my next video dive.

Back
Top Bottom