Filter? or correct color when editing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I shot Turks dives with lights and no filter. All day shots(hate it because I'd rather night dive everyday). Noticed a couple of things. Close shots do look very good and while balance post-production did fine. I'm just not doing enough white-balance at depth. Ron has talked about this and am going to use this next trip. However, with a filter I notice color through a 'range of distance' even at different depths. Shots in the Turks out into the 'open blue' of great passing sharks or spotted eagles rays are nice, but they lack the 'pop' that I feel should be there. Attempts to play with color correction wether on imovie or on the more powerful Final Cut Pro cannot fix the color balance without learning pink/red. Backing off the leaves a blue on blue. I've even considered working with this footage as a retro black and white look focusing more on highlights, contrast, and forcing more complelling story telling. Thoughts? Corrections? Enlightenments?

Well, this has been a wealth of information, I love this sucbaboard fourm, thanks so much for all your input on my underwater video filter or not to filter questions. Still so much to learn, but I am loving it. thanks again. Mike

I use an older Canon A650is (which had to be cracked to shoot RAW, but is otherwise a fabulous P&S), and Canon housing. For snaps, I've found the "Underwater" setting actually works *very* well w/ it's auto white-balance adjustment. Video must be adjusted manually, and I haven't had as much success without a filter or lights. However, Corel's VideoStudio Pro X4 makes a noble attempt at correcting the color on dives down to 40-50ft. After that there doesn't seem to be as much to work with.

Has anyone attempted to color correct the video after the dive (no filter during). If yes.. what software are you using to do so? Did it work well?

Back
Top Bottom