Filling Doubles.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bnscherm

Registered
Reaction score
I was just curious if when people get there doubles filled if they remove the tanks from there backplate, or haul everything together into the dive shop. Just curious...

i have seen it done both ways.

myself, my stickers are positioned in such a way that i have to remove
the backplate to make them visible... so... pretty much means removing
the bp and wings every time.

One more thing. I'm looking at the components needed to set up a pair of doubles, and I've noticed that some of the bands have a rounded bracket piece that buts up against the backplate whereas others do not (dive rite style). What's the deal?

H2Andy:
i have seen it done both ways.

myself, my stickers are positioned in such a way that i have to remove
the backplate to make them visible... so... pretty much means removing
the bp and wings every time.

I agree with Andy on this, I would take the bp and wing off just for safety sake (accidents do happen).

Bnscherm:
One more thing. I'm looking at the components needed to set up a pair of doubles, and I've noticed that some of the bands have a rounded bracket piece that buts up against the backplate whereas others do not (dive rite style). What's the deal?
Pic of ones with a bracket?

Bnscherm:
I was just curious if when people get there doubles filled if they remove the tanks from there backplate, or haul everything together into the dive shop. Just curious...

There are several places in mid-state that have long enough fill whips you can just back your car/truck up & get air or ean32 delivered in your vehicle. Sure saves the back.

When I'm done diving, I break down my rig and stash the wing out of the way. Less wear-and-tear on everything. I guess if you had to wear your backplate to carry the doubles into the shop, you could leave it all built.
Since I'm just lugging the tanks cradled, 6 less pounds is fine with me. Same thing if I'm moving other people's rigs.

I keep my rig assembled. I'm generally the one doing the filling, and it saves time.

As to stickers and what not - there's no rule that says the visual inspection sticker even needs to be on the tank - you can always keep a log book with the tanks serial number, inspector number, and signature...

Bnscherm:

The tank bands that have an extra curved piece between the bands that surround the tanks are an anachronisim. It is an attempt to make a set of doubles "look" like a single tank at the point where the tanks join a BC.

Many BC's and old blow molded SP plastic back packs, are set up to accept only a single tank. Many BC's have holes at 11" centers, but I'd be nervous 'bout hanging a heavy set of doubles on an essentially all fabric BC. Might work ok with a set of 72's

In most cases the bands with the extra curved pieces can be used with a conventional Backplate by reversing the tanks, i.e. the curved pieces are away from the diver.

If you have a choice, get new style bands, as there is no advantage to the old ones and they could perhaps represent an extra entanglement hazzard.

Regards,

Tobin

After diving, I remove the wing and put the backplate back on and use the to transport them (easier to carry on the back than in the arms).

Jason

Back
Top Bottom