Filling an argon tank from another tank.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyronGanes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Argon is a bit hard to get where I am so I intend to just get an Al40 or similar filled and perhaps a low pressure argon bottle. What sort of mechanism would I need to do this to ensure that I don't overpressurize the argon bottle with a 3000 psi storage tank?

Also, I will tank any advice as to what sort of argon bottle you guys recommend, whether steel, or aluminum, capacity, brands etc.

Thanks!

read up on whether argon is worth it, many studies are saying that it isn't worth it because of how difficult it is to actually get the suit fully purged.

Argon bottles do not have to be 2000psi bottles, just get the same size bottle in a normal working pressure and don't worry about it. You'll need a transfill whip with pressure gauge.
DGX Gas Transfill Hose with Analog Gauge

Argon is a bit hard to get where I am so I intend to just get an Al40 or similar filled and perhaps a low pressure argon bottle. What sort of mechanism would I need to do this to ensure that I don't overpressurize the argon bottle with a 3000 psi storage tank?

Also, I will tank any advice as to what sort of argon bottle you guys recommend, whether steel, or aluminum, capacity, brands etc.

Thanks!
Just a transfill whip with spg. I do it all the time. Just go slow and watch the gauge.

I'd maybe get something bigger than a 40, too.

I answered this question for myself when I was living/diving on a remote island in Alaska and wanted to use argon in my drysuit.

The 2015 PSI LP argon bottles are awesome. They were designed for transfilling, like you're proposing, and if argon fills are difficult to obtain, they're quickly going to become your best friend.

First, let's set some baseline parameters: assume that we'll refill our argon bottle at 200 PSI, and that we consider 3CF the minimum amount of inflation gas for a dive. 3CF is 1500 PSI in an AL6, and 750 PSI in an AL8.

Transfill an AL6 from an AL80, you'll get about 10 fills before equalizing at 1500 PSI.
Transfill an AL6 from an AL40, you'll get about 5 fills before equalizing at 1500 PSI.

With the AL8 / AL80 combination, you'll easily get 20+ usable fills before equalizing at 750 PSI. That could be 30-40 dives before you're back at the LDS to refill the AL80.

For filling - use a transfill whip with a SPG like the others have suggested. That DGX one is fine, and they carry the AL8 cylinders as well. Open the valves slowly and tweak as necessary to keep the gauge climbing around 300-600 PSI / minute. Slower is better.

As an aside, if you find yourself diving argon frequently, it may be cost effective for you to bypass the LDS and go directly to the local welding shop (which is where the LDS is getting argon from). I pay ~$70 for 336CF of industrial argon at 2640 PSI. The LDS charges $1.25 per CF and it can take several days to get argon bottles filled.

Hope that helps,

-B

Thanks!

I got the AL6 from here. $109

Small Aluminum Cylinders

This reg. $79

DGX Custom - EZ-ON Inflation Regulator System

3 pieces of 3/16" bungee tied in loops to hold it on my BP. Bottle upside down. 2 loops around the body of the bottle and 1 loop around the valve handwheel stem to keep it from slipping down and out when I'm on the surface.

Done. Works well. $190, all in.

I just fill it with air. I have little experience diving trimix, so far, but all the local tech divers I talked to all said they never use actual argon - just air. And since it's air, I just get it topped up whenever I get my tanks filled. I haven't been charged for that, yet.

I have 4 Aluminum 6cuft cylinders that I fill from a 300cuft Argon cylinder. Oh, and a Haskel AG30.
You could fill several of them to a reasonable pressure without needing the booster. The 2014psi AL14 was/is popular because you get more volume at the lower pressure.

Back
Top Bottom