Filling a 6 cf pony by hand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Answer is still a yes to your question.

Looks like you got your answer in the first reply. The added risks and challenges discussed by another while offering another solution to the issue your facing is just helpful people.

If you want one... do it yourself.

My tanks are LP 2650 and small. I don't need a whip because I have a yoke adapter for my H2Odyssey's. To transfil I have to rent an 80 for each pony and It still comes out a bit short of 3K.

Rather than offering your "better way" to do it, you might consider answering the question I asked.
Based on your response to people trying to be helpful I am curious to know if your solo diver status is a matter of choice or necessity.

My tanks are LP 2650 and small. I don't need a whip because I have a yoke adapter for my H2Odyssey's. To transfil I have to rent an 80 for each pony and It still comes out a bit short of 3K.

Rather than offering your "better way" to do it, you might consider answering the question I asked.

OK, here's your answer. You won't like it. "No." At least, not practically and safely. How are you going to get an air test, for example? Unless you are using them for dry suit inflation, I'd want them to have run through an active pressurized filter to know the air is safe to breathe.

That said, "Upstate NY" covers a lot of ground. If you post or PM me a more specific location maybe I can help.

This does not answer the OP's question, which I've pondered myself. But to transfer a small amount of gas a few times a year, see my Tank Equalizer for $2.50 That's how I fill my 13cu ft pony.

This does not answer the OP's question, which I've pondered myself. But to transfer a small amount of gas a few times a year, see my Tank Equalizer for $2.50 That's how I fill my 13cu ft pony.

As above, I have the adapters to fill the H2Odyssey's from both a tank and an air station. A whip doesn't work with that valve/reg. I don't have a problem with filling from a tank when on vacation. At home I have to rent 2 tanks to get the ponies near 3000 psi. I was just exploring the posibility of hand filling to avoid the (minor) expense.

I've also seen a booster that uses a standard 100 psi compresser and a tank with at least 1000 psi to get up to 3500 psi. I wonder if anyone has experience with that.

Also, there's this PCP 30MPa Electric Air Compressor Pump High Pressure System Rifle 220V/110V | eBay

It has a water/oil seperater filter but - safety??? I'll probably just keep filling by renting 3000 psi 80's.

Last edited:
Based on your response to people trying to be helpful I am curious to know if your solo diver status is a matter of choice or necessity.

Purely by choice. I don't like messing my dive up by keeping track of other people.

Kharon has a distinguished history here of being rather nasty with anyone who dares disagree or offer a different viewpoint.

Perhaps. However, she posted a question that I've often wondered about; especially when I see some of the large hydraulic actuators and accumulators I come across at work. In a former life, worked on an aircraft with a hand pump which could pressurize an accumulator that in turn motored a small auxiliary power unit for starting. It was a lot of work, but accomplished the task when the accumulator was low.

I'll be interested to hear if she comes up (or not) with a method of manually pumping up a cylinder or some other method such as an electrically operated hydraulic power pack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom