Filling a 6 cf pony by hand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there any hand pump setup that could be used to safely (need filter?) fill a couple of 6 cf bottles a couple times a year?

I assume you have an AL 80 and want to fill the AL 6 as a really small pony bottle? If so all you need is a trans fill whip.

If you've got 3000 psi in your AL 80 and an AL 6, and you connect them, you'll end up with 2,700 psi in each tank - 70 cu ft in the AL 80 and 5.4 cu ft in the AL 6. Do the same thing the next time you fill your AL 80 and you'll have 2960 psi in each tank and they'll both still essentially be full.

That's basically how it's done with a Spare Air, except Spare Air has its own trans fill connection and is an even smaller tank.

You can probably find a hand pump to do it, but the problem with a hand pump is that you have zero control over the air quality, and that can be an issue depending on the lubricants used in the pump, contaminants in the hose, and how clean the air is you are starting with.

especially when you have an overfilled 3442 cylinder as your donor....

There are pumps that will do what you want but your money is much better spent on a transfill whip. The pump will cost you as much or more than the whip and trust me, you do NOT want to do the work necessary to fill the tank. I have had some recent experience with these type of pumps used for airguns (pumped to 3000 psi). Its a lot of work just to fill one of the guns and it's tank is nowhere near 6 cf.
Get a transfill whip then be nice to your tank filler so he will go a little over 3000 and use that to top off your 6cf.

My tanks are LP 2650 and small. I don't need a whip because I have a yoke adapter for my H2Odyssey's. To transfil I have to rent an 80 for each pony and It still comes out a bit short of 3K.

Rather than offering your "better way" to do it, you might consider answering the question I asked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom