FIJI-what do you wish you knew before you left?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
27 of us will be headed to Fiji next month. Oklahoma to LAX, then Lax on to Fiji. Staying at Voli Voli. We have all traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean and most have over 1000 dives, but this will be the biggest trip by far for most of us. This is an absolutely open question open to any type of response. Travel tips, dive tips, local places of interest, best land activities, best restaurants, best bars for really really old people that all of us start looking at our watches at 8:30 thinking it’s really late, local money, things NOT to do, anything at all that you wished you knew before you left.

Best is totally up to your own opinion!!

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

27 of us will be headed to Fiji next month. Oklahoma to LAX, then Lax on to Fiji. Staying at Voli Voli. We have all traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean and most have over 1000 dives, but this will be the biggest trip by far for most of us. This is an absolutely open question open to any type of response. Travel tips, dive tips, local places of interest, best land activities, best restaurants, best bars for really really old people that all of us start looking at our watches at 8:30 thinking it’s really late, local money, things NOT to do, anything at all that you wished you knew before you left.

Jay
Wife and I were there in April, 2023 for two weeks. Both of us are experienced divers and, like you, are just beginning to explore the Pacific region after decades of visits to the Caribbean. That was our 2nd trip to Fiji, but our first to the main Island and Volivoli.

Here are a few things I wished I'd known prior to that visit:

1- Fiji Currency. It's nice to have a few Fiji Dollars (currently worth 0.45 USD) for any shopping you might do. It's a 4 hour drive to the resort to/from the airport. They do stop along the way for breaks. That may be your only chance to buy any personal alcohol, etc.

Wait until you completely clear customs after which are plenty of ATM's without a line. I used the Westpac ATM (might be labeled ANZ Bank) to draw out 1,000 Fiji and only had a $4.45 USD fee tacked on. Be sure to DECLINE the "guaranteed rate" like you would at any other foreign ATM. $500 would have been plenty for our needs in retrospect.

2- Volivoli is a remote resort. You will not go anywhere unless it is by taxi or on an arranged tour. The nearest town is 15 minutes away. By all means do the afternoon excursion especially if it's "Market Day". We also enjoyed the more distant Village visit and associated waterfall hike/plunge/swim which consumed 1/2 a day. Both are authentic experiences you will not regret or forget.

3- Food at the resort was wonderful and abundant. Great service too from a genuinely friendly staff. Save room for desert. 'Nuff said.

4- Diving is spectacular compared to anything in the Caribbean. All the good diving is by boat in the Bligh Waters Sanctuary -- 45 minute ride to the northwest. Closer-in dive sites toward the south weren't as compelling, but snorklers and non-divers might enjoy the resident pod of Dolphins there.

5- Don't even think about shore diving at Volivoli. Water is murky right down to the bottom. 15 foot viz MAX was our experience with nothing to see anyway. Also, be very careful if you go into the Bay there FOR ANY reason. The bottom is covered with baby stingrays that are easily stepped upon. My wife and I took a kayak out one afternoon in our bare feet. She got zapped by one in knee deep water necessitating a visit to the local clinic. She wears her scar proudly (like many of the locals). And, come to find out, "Volivoli" means "Stingray" in Fijian. That's the bay you are on. No kidding.

6- Coming home you'll probably have hours to kill at the Nadi Airport. Once you've cleared security, head downstairs to the Fiji Lounge. This is as good as any airport lounge in the world. If you have privileges with OneWorld (American Air) or a premier ticket it's a freebie. If not, 100FJD ($45USD) will get you in. Great food selection and an unlimited wide-open bar.

Bottom line: we loved the resort, the diving, the food, the people and the local excursions. We love Fiji. You will too !!!

Wife and I were there in April, 2023 for two weeks. Both of us are experienced divers and, like you, are just beginning to explore the Pacific region after decades of visits to the Caribbean. That was our 2nd trip to Fiji, but our first to the main Island and Volivoli.

Here are a few things I wished I'd known prior to that visit:

1- Fiji Currency. It's nice to have a few Fiji Dollars (currently worth 0.45 USD) for any shopping you might do. It's a 4 hour drive to the resort to/from the airport. They do stop along the way for breaks. That may be your only chance to buy any personal alcohol, etc.

Wait until you completely clear customs after which are plenty of ATM's without a line. I used the Westpac ATM (might be labeled ANZ Bank) to draw out 1,000 Fiji and only had a $4.45 USD fee tacked on. Be sure to DECLINE the "guaranteed rate" like you would at any other foreign ATM. $500 would have been plenty for our needs in retrospect.

2- Volivoli is a remote resort. You will not go anywhere unless it is by taxi or on an arranged tour. The nearest town is 15 minutes away. By all means do the afternoon excursion especially if it's "Market Day". We also enjoyed the more distant Village visit and associated waterfall hike/plunge/swim which consumed 1/2 a day. Both are authentic experiences you will not regret or forget.

3- Food at the resort was wonderful and abundant. Great service too from a genuinely friendly staff. Save room for desert. 'Nuff said.

4- Diving is spectacular compared to anything in the Caribbean. All the good diving is by boat in the Bligh Waters Sanctuary -- 45 minute ride to the northwest. Closer-in dive sites toward the south weren't as compelling, but snorklers and non-divers might enjoy the resident pod of Dolphins there.

5- Don't even think about shore diving at Volivoli. Water is murky right down to the bottom. 15 foot viz MAX was our experience with nothing to see anyway. Also, be very careful if you go into the Bay there FOR ANY reason. The bottom is covered with baby stingrays that are easily stepped upon. My wife and I took a kayak out one afternoon in our bare feet. She got zapped by one in knee deep water necessitating a visit to the local clinic. She wears her scar proudly (like many of the locals). And, come to find out, "Volivoli" means "Stingray" in Fijian. That's the bay you are on. No kidding.

6- Coming home you'll probably have hours to kill at the Nadi Airport. Once you've cleared security, head downstairs to the Fiji Lounge. This is as good as any airport lounge in the world. If you have privileges with OneWorld (American Air) or a premier ticket it's a freebie. If not, 100FJD ($45USD) will get you in. Great food selection and an unlimited wide-open bar.

Bottom line: we loved the resort, the diving, the food, the people and the local excursions. We love Fiji. You will too !!!
Completely agree with your response. We spent 3 weeks there. We were upgraded to the Premium Ocean View Villa and loved it. Full size refrig, washer and dryer, spectaular views. If people have mobility issues they may want to stay away from the ocean view and deluxe ocean view, there are lots of stairs hiking up and down. The food was exceptional and the staff amazing.

It is remote and there is nothing nearby in terms of restaurants and nightlife. They have entertainment night once a week with authentic Fijian dancers

There is a Duty Free Shop as you exit the customs area. We buy all our alcoholic supplies there. No beer. Your driver will stop in town to buy beer or anything else you forgot.

The Fiji Lounge is totally worth the price if you don't have privileges. The bus leaves Volivoli about 2:30 and you get to the airport about 5:00. The plane doesn't leave until 9:00 and the comfort and amenities of the lounge are unsurpassed.

I stayed at Volivoli in a Premium Ocean View room in April this year. If you have a Premium Ocean View, you'll have a washer and dryer. The front desk sells laundry packets for $2 FJD (2 loads).

There's no tipping in Fiji, not even for your transfer driver. However, if you have some leftover FJD at the end of your stay, they have a "Christmas fund" that you can contribute that supposedly the staff shares at the end of the year. I am skeptical of this setup, but it's your choice and completely voluntary.

I enjoyed the massage at the end of the trip. It's very reasonable by U.S. standards. I never get massages while actively diving day after day so as to not risk moving those bubbles around in my body.

Get some FJD at the airport to pay your tab at the resort. If you use a credit card, there's a 3% surcharge added on.

There are zero options for snacks at the resort. Sodas, alcohol, and beer are expensive. The driver will be happy to stop for you to get what you need on the way.

Make sure all your dive gear is on the boat the first day of diving. The staff loads it and sets it up. You get to the dive boat by a small motor boat, depending on the tides, or walk on a plank from the beach to board. On my first day at check-in, they told me my gear was on the boat, but I had no way to check because we had to take the motor boat to the dive boat. Sure enough, no gear. It was left at the shop, but not where it should have been, so I assumed since I didn't see it, it was onboard.

Bring a refillable water bottle. There are water refill stations around the resort, but they'll tell you not to use them because the water is not safe to drink. Get your water only from the bars or let the staff refill the water pitcher in your room when they come to clean.

The hills can be a challenge for those with back or knee issues. There's a golf cart onsite, and the driver is happy to shuttle you up and down the hills.

Bring mosquito repellant.

Thank you all for your your most valuable information for Fiji. Our trip in April 2025 should be extra special with your help.
Kind regards,
David

I was told that only one or two sites could have current. It turned out that the entire trip was nothing but current. I spent more time relaxing in a deck chair than in the water.

Jay
Just (August) got back from Benqa (southern tip of island so much of my advice won't ring true for the north). Some things that might hold up on either side of the island:

- fiji current can RIP. It was wild. Be ready for your mask to want to leave while waiting on the mooring line. Bring an extra (as if anyone in the group wasn't going to).

- the lounge in the Fiji airport will let you in with priority pass three hours pre departure. It's a nice space and has a good open bar and food.

- i brought a 3m, but wish i had a 5m. Especially when we did a night dive and trying to get some 6a dives in. I got really chilled.

- i wish i had brought a reef pointer to use on the reefs (obviously only dead spots) but something to escape the current.

- fiji air is VERY strict about weight of carry ons. Be mindful of that.

Back
Top Bottom