Fiji/Vanuatu - 3 questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squarepants

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All,

Has anyone tried different regions of Fiji to be able to compare the diving?

Still trying to come to a final decision on our anniversary trip for the last two weeks of January, and I think we've got it narrowed down to Fiji (but where??), and/or Vanuatu.
We really would prefer a small, relaxing, but nice boutique style resort. A variety of different types of dives (corals/fishes, sharks, wrecks, etc.), and good beach are also high up on the list.

Does Vanuatu/Tanna have lots of colorful fish and corals?
Is Beqa more popular for the pelagics, or is it simply better all around?

I see lots of posts about Beqa, and I'm pretty sure that is in the Southern Group. It looks beautiful, however I am reading that the Northern Group has "The Best" scuba diving Fiji Accommodation Guide - Pacific-Resorts.com. - Maybe this is the wrong place to look for info.

Bula Gayla,

I just got back around to the board, and I wasn't sure that I addressed all you questions in the PM. Again, if you need more info just let me know.

If you'd like a nice quiet romantic place, with good diving, you could take a look at Matagi Matangi Private Island Resort Fiji - Weddings, Honeymoons, Diving & more

BB and I were there 2.5 years ago for ten days. Boat diving for 5, shore diving a few more times, sailing and kayaking and hiking. Very good food. Fairly pricey, but seek out a deal. Few of the guests will be diving -- we were the only ones one day, and had 2 to 3 others the remaining days. It is mostly a honeymoon/anniversary destination. Small beach. No wreck to speak of. Saw sharks every day, even small one when snorkeling out front. Rays, giant clams, sweet lips, lobster, lion fish, anemones and their fish.

There are lots and lots of areas in Fiji, along with some very good live-aboard operations. I have also been to Beqa Lagoon Resort, which was also a very nice week of diving. I don't know where you've been diving before, but if it is only the Caribbean, I think you will find that pretty much anywhere in Fiji is going to be really great.

The variety of diving in Fiji is far superior, as well as the accommodation.
There are a large variety of resorts from luxury through to quite affordable, and beautiful puddle about reefs to areas where pelagics come in. Kadavu has a great variety, for example, Moody's Namena is very plush, romantic and private, while Taveuni is simply great. The Great White wall is spectacular and the soft corals amazing.
I would definitely recommend Fiji.
Good luck! :D

Matangi Island is fantastic. A huge variety of dive sites. Very small resort with great owners and staff. I've dove around the world and this place is my favorite resort though I liked the diving at Raja Ampat a bit more.
There is a private beach you can go to where you'll be the only people there and they'll provide a romantic dinner or lunch if you like. Even though the island is small, there is some hiking that can be done. They also visit a local village at least once a week and that was a terrific trip.

Another vote for Matangi! Although we will not be there till April, LOL. Your description is exactly what I was looking for when making my decision. Qamea Qamea Luxury Beach Resort : Fiji Accommodation : For Getting Married, Honeymoon & Weddings, Hotels, Resorts was another I considered, but ultimately decided on Matangi Private Island. They are currently running a special on their website pay 5 get 7 days. Like you, I could not decide what part of Fiji - so we are doing one week in Matangi and one week at Beqa! LOL best of both worlds (hopefully!)

If I had to do it all over again - I would book a week or so on a liveaboard. Specifically the Peter Hughes Boat - then maybe some additional time afterward on land somewhere. When I first started looking into this trip the PH boat was not available to us (new in April), plus the prices were crazy high. With the economy and Fijian dollar dropping, the Liveaboard prices are in a better range - lots of specials have arrived in my email inbox lately.

Good luck deciding!

Well, thank you all for you great advice! We have finally found decent flights with minimal layover times, and are booked at the Coconut Grove Beachfront Cottages. It seems pretty small, with only 3 bures, but I'm sure we'll enjoy relaxing there.

I have only our 4 nights in Vanuatu lodging left to book, and I have it narrowed down to the following: Oyster Island (too far from the SS Coolidge dive site?), Aore Island Resort (again, maybe not convenient?), or Deco Stop.

Almost there!!

Sounds like you are on top of things. Have a great trip! It is almost sad when I get everything planned out - the hard part is waiting to go!

Been to Santo in summer.
Deco stop is by far the best option, overlooking segond channel, Ben and Kim are very good advice when it comes to informing about the island activities.

Oyster bay is too far away, the only benefit you get would be it is very close to the blue hole.
Aore resort is good but you get quite secluded on the island too, the problem of Santo is that you soon get stranded and I find it good to rent a car and get away, for instance to go eating at the market stalls or drive north to Champagne beach. (best car rental is Laho downtown, although this local operation is somehow blacklisted by the clique of the not so local entrepreneurs...).

Loved Allan Power dive operation and super funny dive guide Garry.

Going to fiji too in feb. and I will also likely stay at Coconut grove, looks like the best option on Taveuni. My wallet cannot afford Qamea or Matangi.

i spent 5 months in fiji traveling around to many of the different islands and island chains. i did around 50+ dives in total, if you get a chance, try diving namena marine reserve, hands down most spectacular diving i did while i was in fiji, its located about an hour off of Vanua Levu which has a really cool main town called Savusavu. the rainbow reef off of taveuni is very nice as well, there are some dive operations on Savusavu that go to both Namena and The rainbow reef, there is also a pretty good hammerhead dive hardly 15 minute boat ride from shore and they boast a 80 percent success rate with seeing the scalloped hammerhead, there is a large school and on the right tide they can be seen there. nice corals, big fish, little fish, swim throughs and caverns, The diving near Savusavu is pretty incredible. Check out Koro Sun dive, really great people. very accommodating, they do their best to get you where you want to go and work around your schedule, they also have a nice facility and equipment which is not always the case in fiji.

Also, if you want a true authentic Fijian feel, head down south of Viti Levu, to an island called Kadavu (kandavu) really gorgeous island, amazing people, off the beaten path, not many tourists at all and an amazing barrier reef called the Astrolabe, look it up, it has some really great diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom