• Welcome to ScubaBoard


  1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

    Benefits of registering include

    • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

    Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Fiji: Our thoughts and prayers are with you

Discussion in 'The Pacific Islands' started by jlevine, Feb 19, 2016.

  1. Dieter Kudler

    Dieter Kudler Registered

    # of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Location: Beqa Island, Fiji
    12
    4
    It's very true - we had no damage on our bures or boats (Beqa Lagoon Resort) - we found whole trees unrooted and our garden was a mess - but as mentioned before nothing we could not fix with just cleaning up grounds :) - we were very lucky!
     
    caseybird likes this.
  2. CheddarChick

    CheddarChick Contributor

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Wisconsin
    2,984
    61
    Has anybody been out diving??? What do the reefs look like? Was there a ton of sand deposited on them from the storm surge???
     
    chillyinCanada likes this.
  3. Dave_lucas

    Dave_lucas Registered

    # of Dives: 100 - 199
    Location: Denver Colorado
    56
    11
    Taveuni dive resort has been out diving and has posted some pictures and videos.

    https://m.facebook.com/pages/Taveuni-Dive-Resort/715598201813556?sk=app_367266963355085

    They really lucked out as they did not get too much damage. About 9 miles away is paradise and it looks like they were hit really hard.

    The dive shop I booked with says the trip is still on and the pics that they have posted of the reef still look nice. We were going there for more than just diving and wanted to do some topside activities so my wife is a bit bummed and we are waiting to see what happens or if people start canceling.
     
  4. CheddarChick

    CheddarChick Contributor

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Wisconsin
    2,984
    61
    Good luck getting your money back if you booked thru Travelocity.....Even with trip insurance, I might be out $2,500.....
    So do we roll the dice and go to Fiji only to find out it really is a devastation zone? sigh....
     
  5. Dieter Kudler

    Dieter Kudler Registered

    # of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Location: Beqa Island, Fiji
    12
    4
    Best is to call the resort up ....
     
  6. mmmbelows

    mmmbelows Regular of the Pub

    1,031
    573
    You booked it after you said you weren't going to and then didn't book it in the southern parts of Viti Levu after I posted that those areas weren't hit hard?
     
  7. CheddarChick

    CheddarChick Contributor

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Wisconsin
    2,984
    61
    Gees we booked the trip 7 months ago....take a pill
     
  8. mmmbelows

    mmmbelows Regular of the Pub

    1,031
    573
    Good to hear, that was kind of freaking me out! The way you have been posting it sounded like you earlier in this thread were planning on going but hadn't booked yet, then you posted in a way it sounded like you were not going to book and looking elsewhere.

    Sounds like you booked already in Taveuni or another area that was hard hit? I would think that if the resort you booked at isn't able to support guests that they would have to refund you at least the resort portion of the trip, maybe not the airfare, but then you could at least book somewhere else on the island?
     
  9. JulieM

    JulieM Contributor

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: St. George,Utah
    143
    81
    We were scheduled to go to Savusavu and Namena three days after Cyclone Winston took a direct hit to that area. Namena Island Resort was completely devastated. Both the vacation rental house and Namena Island Resort refunded our money. Using Travel Insurance for Fijiairways. Fijiairways gave us until the end of April to complete travel or pay the $130 per person change fee. At first they gave us only three days to rebook, but then changed it to April 27. We elected to use insurance rather than rebook. We are waiting to hear from divers, not resort owners, how the reef is after the cyclone.
     
  10. mmmbelows

    mmmbelows Regular of the Pub

    1,031
    573
    Wow Namena was one of the places we almost went to a few years ago but the flight logistics were just too much for us. I wonder if they will be able to recover? That place was so small I wonder if this will be the end of them?
     

Share This Page