Fiji or Tahiti; and where on each

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Next March, 2011 over spring break my wife and I are taking a dive trip. We have pretty much narrowed it down to these two places. I realize saying that "Fiji" or Tahiti is almost generic, so if you have an opinion, I would appreciate detail as to which island or dive sites. A live aboard is a little out of our price range. We don't need fancy places to stay, just safe and secure. Diving is the main event, topside activities are nice, but secondary.
We like to look for macro, but the bigger stuff turns us on more. Sharks are great as well. Traveling from the west coast, Idaho so we will go through either Seattle or LAX, which ever is easier/cheaper.
I realize there are a lot of posts like this. Thanks for helping me make a big decision.

I haven't been to Tahiti myself, only seen pictures of those gorgeous islands and read reports about sites like Tiputa Pass, but I would be very surprised if Tahiti offered even 50% of Fiji's general friendliness and warm hospitality, and their prices are much lower, too. I have been to Fiji three times (and counting :wink:, and my favourite remote outer island dive resorts there are the following:
Deluxe: Qamea Island off Taveuni (they have great weekly accommodation&dive specials)
First class: Beqa Lagoon Resort, Beqa Island south coast of the main island
Moderate: Matava Hideaway Resort, Kadavu Island or
Rainbow Reef Resort off Taveuni

Just posted a reply to your post and then read someone else's reply about the homes for rent in Fiji. That is a great option and the homes they talked about are nice....but Wananavu includes meals and it actually works out to be the same price if you take into consideration the cost of food. I guess it's personal preference.....but I like to go on vacation and have someone else cook! If you think about Kadavu both Papageno and Matava Resort are really great! Just different sides of the island. Both of these resorts include meals also.....and the food is great. There is one resort that is offering a free IPAD when you book a week at the resort! Wow! Mary Jane

I just came back from a divetrip to Tahiti a few days ago. The best diving I ever had. WE dived in Moorea, Rangiroa and Fukuawa. Hundreds of sharks, whales, mantas, dolphins and, and,....

Hi
I only really know Fiji out of the two, but if you give me an idea of your budget and dive interests I will be happy to suggest a few options to you.

I live and dive in Fiji but am not affiliated to any resort.

Cheers
Greg
http://club.skindeepfiji.com

Since I originally posted, we have decided on Fiji for our trip. We are booked for 8 days on Tavueni and staying at Garden Island Resort. I bought the airline tickets to early, about $300 cheaper now than when I did. :depressed:
We are still very excited about the trip and can't wait until March! Last year at that time a typhoon came through so our fingers are crossed that it doesn't happen 2 years in a row.

Any comments about the resort and dive op, along with suggestions would be appreciated. We haven't been further west than Hawaii. Anything special we need to know?

My wife and I were married at the Garden Island Resort 3 yrs ago this next March. Dove there for a week then went off to the GBR with Mike Ball for a honeymoon. Garden Island Resort is a nice place (think Super 8 with a nice pool and unbelievable views. Food was pretty good. The rainbow reef is GREAT. The resort put together the wedding party, arranged the minister, food, entertainment. Anyway I understand they are now under new management and have done some refurbishment. We enjoyed our stay. Some folks complained a bit about the currents but hey, that is why you see cool stuff. Weather was perfect. Some evening showers. The morning of the ceremony we were diving (of course) and had a large school of dolphin join us. We plan a return visit sometime next yr.
I have done some diving in Tahiti. If price is a consideration you certainly made the right choice in Fiji. I did not have as good an experience as Vollie while diving in Tahiti but I only dove off Moorea. I thought Fiji was far superior diving but clearly Vollie had a spectacular trip. I'm jealous.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom