Trip Report Fiji- May 14-30, 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the helpful information, Trailboss. We're booked to Fiji in November, so your reports are perfect for spooling up anticipation. We had a similar COVID experience--we were returning from Ecuador; took proctored tests on a Friday afternoon for a redeye to Atlanta. Both negative. About three hours later, my wife felt the first signs of a sinus infection. We'd been in the jungle for five days and had just tested negative. What I thought were seasonal allergies hit me when I got back to springtime in Ohio, but a seemingly-unnecessary test on Tuesday was positive. Very easy course for both of us, but we infected several family members in the meantime--fortunately, all are fine. Will you have a recovery certificate for purposes of coming home?
I just tested Negative the other day-- So, I should be good to go. If for some reason I test positive, I can see a doctor who can qualify me as "fit to fly" (assuming I am) and issue me a certificate that will get my on the plane.

I have only ever seen one Tiger and it was unbaited. We were snorkelling 300 meters off the island so it was quite unnerving. I thought it was going to bump me at one stage, glad I had a large camera rig to put between us and the shark. I imagine most sightings without bait are quite fleeting as they are always on the move looking for dinner.

The only unbaited Tiger Sharks I saw were in Socorro & Cocos. The unbaited Bull Sharks I saw was in Cabo Pulmo.

Thank you for such an informative report! Sorry about covid but fortunately you had time on your side. It's not a short trip world now I guess.

Thanks for the trip report. Pre-kids, the wife and I went to Taveuni I think in June (gee, has it been that many years already?!). We checked in for our domestic flight to find we had been bumped off not only our flight but our airline! :) But in true "Fiji it will get done" style, they had just put us on another flight which turned out to fly low similar to yours so we could see all the reefs close up. Which we liked better than the higher level flight we had coming back. We stayed in a beach house close to the airport which was beautiful for a couple days until it started raining, horizontal rain, for 6 days. They don't call it the Garden Isle for nothing. Meanwhile I got sick too but got feeling bad enough after a couple days to visit the hospital in the middle of the night. You have to knock on the emergency room door. :) 1 IV later I felt a lot better. Glad it did not get to that for you.

I still love Fiji so we're taking the kids. Thanks for calling out the COVID travel insurance need. I'd booked the after arrival COVID test but didn't notice the COVID travel insurance requirement. FijiCare site is giving me trouble with taking my payment info but never saying payment accepted or what is wrong. I'll try a different browser. With travel nowadays you have to enter all your passport and travel information in every purchase. Between this and other travel, I've never had to enter my passport\travel info so many times. First world problem. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom