Fiji Live-aboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about a live-aboard in Fiji in either 2022 or 2023 (we'll see how COVID goes...).

I only know of one live-aboard there: "Nai'a" - which looks very good, but that one's both expensive (not necessarily a deal-breaker) and also booked up pretty solid for the times that would work for us (that definitely could be a deal-breaker).

Are there any other live-aboards that do Fiji?

Thanks. I have no doubt that Nai'a is a great operation -- I'd love to do it. But it's booked up well into next year (booked solid at the times we can/want to go). Oh well, maybe 2023.

FWIW, several years ago, I was on the Nai'a. Yes is was expensive, but it was a gorgeous boat and IMHO, worth every penny. I am pretty sure that she has undergone an upgrade in 2010 so although expensive, she is a good value.

Yeah, I know. As I said, "expensive" is not a deal-breaker. Being fully booked when we can/want to go is. All indications are it's a great boat.

I'm also struggling to find the "sweet spot" for the optimal TIME for a scuba trip to Fiji. It seems there's no ideal time: visibility, wildlife abundance, water temps, and weather all are on different schedules, so no matter what time of year you pick, you either get cold water, low viz, relative lack of wildlife, or rough weather (including possible cyclones). Pick any one or two good things, and it seems you get one or two two not-so-good things.

For divers who want to avoid (as much as possible) colder water, lower viz, cyclones, and relatively few critters, what's the best target month to go? For those who just want a nice beach vacation, it's much easier (May through August sounds like the sweet spot for that). But once you factor in water temps, visibility, calm sea conditions, and greater fish life, I'm not seeing any ideal season where those line up. Am I missing it, or just expecting too much?

may is the best mix imo. early enough to avoid most of cyclone season, late enough to enter into dry season with low rain/better vis and the water is still warm from the rainy season.

May of last year was when I should have been there, if not for Covid. After much research I had decided on May.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom