Fiji Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eng1ne1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey All-
My wife and I are planing on going to Fiji this Dec.
I'm hoping that some of you would be willing to share your experiances and suggest some islands/resorts to stay at that offer great diving trips,(it's exhausting looking into it all). I would also like to know how you were treated by the resort staff and any excursion crews.

If you have any suggestions for MUST see or do, that would also help. Pic's?

Thanks,
Jt (eng1ne1)

Try Bega Lagoon Resort - Formerly Marlin Bay Resort. beqalagoonresort.com. I stayed there twice. The diving was great, and the staff went over board to please.

Jt, I wish you a terrific trip to Fiji and hope you and your wife love it as much as I do. If you search on Fiji you'll see other posts with details on dive sites and regions. My wife, two teenage kids and I stayed at the Malolo Island Resort (http://www.maloloisland.com/) and we really enjoyed the people, the food and the facilities. Very clean bures and a nice beach. Malolo Island is one of the Mamanuca Islands.

Subsurface Fiji (http://www.fijidiving.com/en/fiji-scuba-diving.html) has a kiosk at the resort, right next to the beach bar. They were great, very friendly, very helpful and very professional. Their boat would come to the resort to pick us up and within ten minutes or so, we were out on the reef, listening to the brief and putting on our gear.

Cheers

eng1ne1:
Hey All-
I'm hoping that some of you would be willing to share your experiances and suggest some islands/resorts to stay at that offer great diving trips,(it's exhausting looking into it all). I would also like to know how you were treated by the resort staff and any excursion crews.

Thanks,
Jt (eng1ne1)
You will have to get out into the islands to experience real Fiji clear water, white sandy beaches. We wasted our 3 days booked into the Westin on Denarau Is. Hotel was great, but all beaches on mainland was BAD. Only exception was Natadola beach which was really worth the 45min trip out southwest of Nadi. Snorkelling off the main beach where there is reef, lots of fish to see.

Mananucas group (westbound) is most easily accessible off Nadi International. If you get off Suva International south of Fiji, Beqa Divers run great shark diving. More pelagics off the south or towards the west parts of Fiji Island group.

We stayed 4 days at the Mana Is Resort., out in the Mamanucas Group. The resort staff was very, very professional and friendly. Free cultural shows nightly, it was fun. Local islanders were very helful. Price was F$450 (incl buffet breakfast) for deluxe bure, but negotiated for a free upgrade to oceanfront bure. Any other accom. is not great. Oceanfront bures are configured in horseshoe config, so bures on either ends will be best. Dinner is either by buffet themes daily, or an ala carte menu- pricey tho... The island is large enough for long romantic walks inland, you can walk around the island in 3 hrs easy stroll. snorkel adventures everywhere off beach, because there is protected reef around the island. It was fabulous. Sailing, kayaking all free. We used a dive weight as an anchor attached with some heavy gauge fishing line(we brought our own reel), took off to nearby reef locations by kayak, anchored and snorkelled off the kayak. There was a sand bank patch that we would love to explore, but never got to cause it was quite a distance out.

There is a dive shop onsite at Mana Island. Run by a Japanese owner. Very professional, but prices are comparable to US prices approx F$170 for 2 boat dives with my own equipment!!, so no real savings here. Rental equipment all great quality. Package pricing benefit people who rent and dive. If you BYO, the dive prices aren't great. Do bring your own fins, personal gear, incl a lycra suit. Snorkelling around the island was AMAZING. Lots of fish, aquarium like clarity down to 20ft easy. Warm water. I have never seen so many shades of colors in hard coral: Red, pink, blue, green, yellow, purple, etc etc. I did 4 dives($$$)- deepest dive in the morning, and maybe 2nd dive per day, but snorkelling all day everywhere was good enough for me to see lots of what I wanted to see.

Baby Blacktips, morays, barracuda, sardine vortexes, occasional turtle, trumpet fish, bat fish, angel fish, one sea snake(black/white ring-poisonous!) was normal.

I was told, if you are at Fiji only to dive, go east of the mainland islands. Less crowds.

Thank all for the suggestions. scuba_mike and work4mike, you guys are awesome for all the info, lock_washer I'll check into your suggeted resort.
Again thanks all for the info
Jt (eng1ne1)

Hi: The best diving in Fiji is not in the Mananucas........but this is a great group of islands to visit for a nice vacation with some okay diving. If you want really great diving I would recommend Wananavu Resort, Matangi Island Resort, Garden Island Resort or Beqa Lagoon Resort. The best pricing right now is at Wananavu Resort.....they are offering a great special and the diving here is really amazing!! The bures are really nice, the food is good and the area is beautiful. No other resorts in this area.....just very small properties. Beqa Lagoon Resort is a great overall experience; great diving, wonderful food, great bures and other things to do on Beqa Island or in Pacific Harbour. Garden Island Resort is located on Taveuni....an island up North with famous dive sites like the White Wall and Rainbow Reef. Garden Island has great diving and a very nice staff but the accommodations are just basic. Matangi is a luxury resort on it's own island located off of Taveuni. At Matangi you get the best accommodations, food, a private island experience and amazing diving. Of course Matangi is the most expensive of the resorts I just mentioned.....but they are having a great special if you travel before Oct., (stay 7 nights only pay for 5 nights). Sort of overwhelming isn't it? You will love Fiji.....don't let anyone talk you out of going there!

Thanks,
Mary Jane

eng1ne1:
Hey All-

Thanks,
Jt (eng1ne1)

Get a copy of "The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom