Fiji Airways carry-on warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just arrived in Fiji. Opposite experience at SFO last night. Checking carry on weight and tagging bags. At the boarding gate people were skulking around double checking bags while people were waiting to board.

Just arrived in Fiji. Opposite experience at SFO last night. Checking carry on weight and tagging bags. At the boarding gate people were skulking around double checking bags while people were waiting to board.
That's disappointing. We flew via LAX, so I guess the staff at SFO are much more stringent.

I'm flying to Fiji next week on Fiji Airways SFO to NAN then NAN to Taveuni (TVU). My bags won't be checked through to TVU, so I have to retrieve them in NAN and recheck them at TVU. My concern is the low allowance for a carry-on at 15 pounds. I have a reduced-size, cheap roller carryon that weighs 4.2 pounds, but there's still not much I can put in there without going overweight, but I'll make it work. Their website says if your carryon is overweight at the gate, you are charged $140 USD and it'll get checked to the belly of the plane.

For the checked bags, only 33 pounds is allowed per bag from NAN to TVU, so I'm going to wear my BCD with the pockets filled onto the plane. Anyone done this before going to Fiji?

I have a normal looking lightweight backpack that I'll put my camera and laptop in. The website doesn't have a weight or size restriction for the personal item as long as it fits under the seat in front of you.

Does anyone have recent experience to share when departing from SFO and TVU?

i flew sfo-nan in the fall last year. my 30L backpack which I used for carryon did not get weighed, but they did weigh anything that looked like a suitcase. checked bag for NAN to TVU is no issue if you are ticketed through to TVU on the same ticket (because you get the intl flight allowance). if it is separate tickets, you can pay the fee for sports equipment which is like 65 bucks or something.

My experience is bit dated, but I flew to Fiji precovid in 2019. At LAX, they came through the boarding lounge prior to the flight and weighed everyone's carryon. If you are on a liveaboard or going to a dive resort, check to see if they offer a discounted second checked bag discount. I was on NAIA and they had an arrangement with Fiji for a second dive gear bag at a greatly discounted rate.

i flew sfo-nan in the fall last year. my 30L backpack which I used for carryon did not get weighed, but they did weigh anything that looked like a suitcase. checked bag for NAN to TVU is no issue if you are ticketed through to TVU on the same ticket (because you get the intl flight allowance). if it is separate tickets, you can pay the fee for sports equipment which is like 65 bucks or something.
I have two separate tickets. I didn't know they had a sports equipment allowance. I'll have to look that up.

Back
Top Bottom