Figuring out PSI at depth...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JaredWaites

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong place or if this has been posted before, I tried to search.

I'm curious what the pressure is on our bodies at depth...is there any information where I can look this up?

Like at say 50 feet how many PSI, 75, 100, etc.

TIA

- Jared

Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong place or if this has been posted before, I tried to search.

I'm curious what the pressure is on our bodies at depth...is there any information where I can look this up?

Like at say 50 feet how many PSI, 75, 100, etc.

TIA

- Jared
Yes, there is a way to calculate it and it should be in your books.
I cant recall exactly for PSI, but if you go metric and start using BAR or atmospheres aka ATM (atmospheres, for practical use 1 BAR = 1 ATM) every 10m equals 1 additional bar/atm. At the surface youre under 1 bar/atm of pressure, thus at 10m 2 bar, 20m 3 bar and so forth..

Its in the OW book...and I should've known it to begin with :wink:

I do believe its .5 PSI/foot.

Edit: Thanks

In Imperial-

Surface- 14.7 psi
33'- 29.4 psi
66'- 44.1 psi
99'- 58.8 psi
132'- 73.5 psi
165'- 88.2 psi

Edit- that's PSIA- absolute

about 1/2 psi per foot plus 15

So the pressure at 74 ft is 37+15=52 PSIA or 37 PSIG

Thanks.

So a standard air gauge is PSIG, like on a swimming pool air pressure gauge or something in that nature?

Yep- if you subtract the surface pressure (14.7 psi) from the numbers I listed you get the guage pressure.

Or try (depth in feet divided by 33) times 14.7

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom