Figuring cubic feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caseyd1971

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got a couple of steel 72s and I was wondering if you get 72 cubic feet at 2250psi or at the plus fill of 2475

The rating is at the plus fill.....but the "72" is just a nominal number. What it REALLY is depends on the mfg.

If you do a search on this forum for measuring volume of cylinders, you will find a nice explanation by Luis. However, the 71.2s were and still are great tanks for most diving. If you are a deep diver or an air hog, they may not be the best for you. I love them for their versatility, buoyancy characteristics, durability, comfort and, of course, the historical (vintage) and "cool factor".

From a noted vintage style diver, (paraphrasing), "Swim down, swim around, air gets low (via gauge or J-valve), swim up". GOOD DIVE.

If you do a search on this forum for measuring volume of cylinders, you will find a nice explanation by Luis. However, the 71.2s were and still are great tanks for most diving. If you are a deep diver or an air hog, they may not be the best for you. I love them for their versatility, buoyancy characteristics, durability, comfort and, of course, the historical (vintage) and "cool factor".

From a noted vintage style diver, (paraphrasing), "Swim down, swim around, air gets low (via gauge or J-valve), swim up". GOOD DIVE.

I also like them for beach diving because they weigh a few pounds less than an aluminum 80 and you need about four pounds less weight on your belt so that's about 6-8 pounds altogether that you don't have to haul up and down the bluffs and across the sand.

And, of course, they are cool :wink:

They're my favorite tanks for local diving that's not too deep. 27 lbs empty on land and neutral when empty. It's tough to beat those numbers. You can often get a slight overfill to about 2700 and then they're basically the same capacity as an AL80 but much more enjoyable to carry and dive with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom