fiesta americana / dive house questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d56nut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone,

We will be staying at the Fiesta Americana from Feb 1st - Feb 8th. We got the all inclusive plan and the diving will be through Dive House (the on site dive shop...I think!). Our package includes 5 days two tank boat dives and unlimited shore diving. I emailed Dive House to ask the following questions but only got "daily" answers...maybe some of you can help...

1. Do they offer a weekly rental of gear? We will need BCD, Reg and guages. Our package includes weights and tanks.

2. If they don't offer weekly rentals...how long do you get to keep the gear? Is it just for the boat trip? Do you have to pay a rental fee every time you shore dive?

3. Being fairly new to diving this may seem like silly question. When we get up each day do we go to the dive shop and rent the equipment and then haul it to the boat?

4. Don't want to look like a kid on the first day of school...what do we wear to walk to the boat? Should we already have our shorty's on? Or just have our swimming suits on? Or shorts and shirts over our swimming suits?

5. Should I buy several of those clippy things? We each have an underwater camera and dive lights. Which ones are best?

6. One other question...how do you all put those little pics under your names?!!!

Thanks so much!
Michelle
d56nut

Hi, Michelle,
I have stayed at FA,and dived with DH for my 3 trips to Cozumel. My most recent trip was in August of 2001, so some of this information may be dated.
Also I brought my own gear, except for tanks and weights, so I'm not too sure about the rentals but I did observe a few things.
Dive House is the on-site dive shop. It is across a not-too-busy street, located near the beach and attached to one of the restaurants from the hotel. There is also a pedestrian walkway to get you over the street if necessary.

Regarding questions #1 and #2:
I'm not sure about the availability of weekly rentals, I did see people getting their rental gear piece by piece at the counter, but I also slow people that seem to have rental gear bundled and waiting for them.
Dive House does have "lockers", actually concrete cubbyholes into which plastic baskets containing your gear can be locked. If weekly rental is an option, you probably could store your rental gear there.
Perhaps another e-mail to the shop with the specific questions emphasizing weekly rental could be helpful. I found Evelyn, the shop manager/co-owner(?) to be very helpful.

#3:
While some of this depends upon the answers to question one and two that's basically the procedure. You go to the shop, check-in, get your gear, find out which boat you are on, and wait. When the boat arrives you walk out along the dock, hauling your gear, and get on the boat. By the way, tanks and weights are on the boat, so that cuts down on what you have to lug out there.

It's basically up to you. I have seen people in all of the outfits you've mentioned. However, I'd suggest a few things to keep in mind. First the sun is going to be very hot (even in February) and I'd suggest keeping a shirt on, either over your bathing suit, or with shorts. On the same topic don't forget sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat.
Also, while some people had their shorties on, top rolled down, as they walked to boat, most people waited to suit up until we got to the dive site. The boat rides can vary in length, and the dive masters would tell you when it's time to suit up. Of course you should attach your regulator, BC, etc., to a tank as soon as you get on the boat.
I wore a T-shirt over my bathing suit, and "reef runner" shoes or sandles-the concrete dock can get hot.

If you're carrying a camera, depending upon the size of the rig, you should at least have it on a wrist lanyard. I have mine attached to my BC by a "coiled lanyard". Of course let a crewman hand you the camera after you are in the water.
Depending on the size of the light I'm carrying, it is either in my hand,, attached by a wrist lanyard, or I attach it through a D-ring on my BC, and tuck it away. If your B.C. has a pocket you can also stow the light in there.
If you perform a "search" on this topic and am sure you get a lot more information. You might also want to check the "underwater photography" forum for more information on this topic.

Those little pictures are called avatars, and in instructions for getting them can be found on several different threads. I'd offer more information but I'm not really sure how to do it. Again try a search, for "avatars".
Another suggestion: keep checking back to this thread, and I'm sure other people will post more recent information.

Edited to add: on the " site support" forum there is a subforum(?) for "avatar requests" you might explore that location for more help.

In any event in sure your trip to Cozumel. It's great.
Good luck,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for all the info!!! I'll defintely be posting a trip report when we get back!

Michelle

Michelle,
We're staying at the Fiesta Americana Feb. 7-14, using Dive House. I'll be the one shore diving on Feb. 7th in the afternoon, hoping to complete my AOW on this trip. It's our first trip to Coz, can't wait!

If you intend on using their lockers, bring a lock.

Understand the lockers are first come, they get taken up quickly.

Have fun at FA and dive house. Pirate is a good guy.

Sorry I can't answer your questions about rental gear there. I have always brought my own. A way to clip off cameras is a good idea.

Have fun,

TwoBit

We'll be diving with the DH starting Jan 11th. I've looked around quite a bit and finally decided to go with them. I've never dove cozumel before and my local dive shop had some fairly good reviews from some of their divers that have used the DH before.

I'll be back on the 18th and would happy to provide you with a full report then!

Damon

d56nut:
Hi Everyone,

1. Do they offer a weekly rental of gear? We will need BCD, Reg and guages. Our package includes weights and tanks.

Thanks so much!
Michelle
d56nut

In dealing with the same situation a few years ago, the result was for me that it was far cheaper to rent gear in the States and lug it down there than to rent gear on Cozumel.

DRSmith:
We'll be diving with the DH starting Jan 11th. I've looked around quite a bit and finally decided to go with them. I've never dove cozumel before and my local dive shop had some fairly good reviews from some of their divers that have used the DH before.

I'll be back on the 18th and would happy to provide you with a full report then!

Damon

Hi Damon,

Can't wait to hear your report...not only on my questions but also about your trip in general!!! HAVE A BLAST!!!

Michelle

ggunn:
In dealing with the same situation a few years ago, the result was for me that it was far cheaper to rent gear in the States and lug it down there than to rent gear on Cozumel.

Thanks so much for the tip. We will call the LDS where we got certified to see how much they charge for a weekly rently of bcd/reg and guages.

Is is okay to take pressure guages on airplanes? Never thought of that til just now!!!

Michelle

DRSmith:

Damon

I'll also be at FA and diving with DH Jan 10-17. We have a group of 24 with 9 divers. Maybe we'll be on the same boat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom