fiberglass boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xizang

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am about to order a fiberglass boat with an outboard motor and have zero idea on things to look for. Its going to be a customize boat but nothing fancy just a flat bottom with an outboard motor. I have a few questions in mind

1. what size motor do I need? I am thinking the boat should be able to carry at the maximum 7 divers with 3 tanks each, the driver and maybe a cooler.
2. what is a good hull design? its not going to be a liveaboard boat but something that will be taken to day trips.

hope to get some suggestions

Axua:
I am about to order a fiberglass boat with an outboard motor and have zero idea on things to look for. Its going to be a customize boat but nothing fancy just a flat bottom with an outboard motor. I have a few questions in mind

1. what size motor do I need? I am thinking the boat should be able to carry at the maximum 7 divers with 3 tanks each, the driver and maybe a cooler.
2. what is a good hull design? its not going to be a liveaboard boat but something that will be taken to day trips.

hope to get some suggestions

Based on my experience in the Philippines, I would want at least a 24 - 26 foot fiberglass boat with a deep V hull....with 2 or 7 divers and three tanks. This would require at least 150 - 200 hp for an outboard (better with twins) if you want to get 30 mph out of it. A lot of days won't require this size but it does get rough during amihan and habagat. You're looking at a minumum of US$35,000 ($50k plus with twin motors..excluding the duty) for a new boat in this category. Top of the line boats can be double that price.
However, for less money, you can get a decent sized bangka. (40 feet) They are tried and proven in your waters and you can find lots of captains that know how to drive them. the only problem is the materials used (bamboo and coco lumber) don't last very long.

I would try to get a solid fiberglass boat, cored hulls are problems waiting to happen. It will cost more but should last a lot longer and have less hull problems. Find out what the warranty’s are.

Hank49:
Based on my experience in the Philippines, I would want at least a 24 - 26 foot fiberglass boat with a deep V hull....with 2 or 7 divers and three tanks. This would require at least 150 - 200 hp for an outboard (better with twins) if you want to get 30 mph out of it. A lot of days won't require this size but it does get rough during amihan and habagat. You're looking at a minumum of US$35,000 ($50k plus with twin motors..excluding the duty) for a new boat in this category. Top of the line boats can be double that price.
However, for less money, you can get a decent sized bangka. (40 feet) They are tried and proven in your waters and you can find lots of captains that know how to drive them. the only problem is the materials used (bamboo and coco lumber) don't last very long.

hank,
that price is a bit too high I think. did you get one when you were here? I had seen in Anilao a fiberglass boat with twin 75hp yamaha motors that carries 15 people with 2 tanks each and cost $12,000 for everything. I don't know what a deep v-hull is but I think that boat look like most chase-boats on used on liveaboards here. It was comfortable for a 1 and half hour ride in moderate waves. I based my initial estimate on this and thought that something half of this would do, but I was wondering if there was a way to estimate hp needed for a given size and capacity of a boat?
I was considering the wooden bangka's but I need something that I could pull up a trailer and haul back to manila if needed.

Axua:
I don't know what a deep v-hull is QUOTE]

Deep V is pretty much self explanitory, its just looks like a V from bow to stern. The other type of V bottom will be flatter by the stern and v'ed in the bow.

so the deeper the v is the more resilient the boat will be on big waves?

Axua:
hank,
that price is a bit too high I think. did you get one when you were here? I had seen in Anilao a fiberglass boat with twin 75hp yamaha motors that carries 15 people with 2 tanks each and cost $12,000 for everything. I don't know what a deep v-hull is but I think that boat look like most chase-boats on used on liveaboards here. It was comfortable for a 1 and half hour ride in moderate waves. I based my initial estimate on this and thought that something half of this would do, but I was wondering if there was a way to estimate hp needed for a given size and capacity of a boat?
I was considering the wooden bangka's but I need something that I could pull up a trailer and haul back to manila if needed.

You may find a used .....well used....boat for that price. A new Yamaha 75 two stroke (those models are known gas hogs, the 60 is better) is about $7,000 including the shifter. ($14K for two) I have a 25 foot Guatemalan made skiff here, similar to the chase boats you're talking about, and it was $8000 new. Add another $1000 for radio, gps. But I wouldn't put 15 people in it unless I was in the lagoon.
I had a 23 foot skiff here in Belize that costs about $6k new and a 60 hp Yamaha is another $6K. But it's only good for maybe two or three divers with 6 tanks, cooler, gas...and a driver. And I wouldn't want to be in rough water with it.
If you're going to really watch the weather and dive in protected areas, you could get away with a small boat like that. I lived around Panay and Boracay for 11 years and the seas are pretty fickle there. You have no Coast Guard to speak of to bail you out.
The chase boats never made the trip from Boracay down to Maniguin. Usually 45 foot, or bigger bangkas make that and coming home is gnarly some days.
If you're around Cebu, Bohol in the Central Visayas, you get calmer water though. You can get a smaller boat but you'll have to be very picky about where and when you go. Anyway, good luck.

Chuck Tribolet:
And the deeper the V, the lower the gas mileage, the higher the planing speed, and the
less stable at the dive site. EVERYTHING about boats is a tradeoff.

I agree about the trade off concept....low mileage and planing speed. But when a deep V is anchored or moored to a buoy, isn't it softer and more stabe pointing into the wind and chop for the same reason it rides softer under way?

Back
Top Bottom