FFM - Which one should I choose ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting those videos, @Lake Hickory Scuba ! I had no idea I could attach an alternate air source to the SAV port. Pretty cool!

@Lake Hickory Scuba I normally dive OTS, but am thinking of switching to ocean reef (for lots of the reasons you said). Earlier you mentioned that the mask works with OTS comms. Is that true? I ask because most of my coworkers dive w/ OTS (but the reefs just fit me better).

For work I use an AGA by Divator, civi side I prefer reg and half mask.

You'd best be confident in losing the mask without notice. You go blind and airless at the same time, if your reg is off to the side, now you have to sweep for it. As well I don't know your breathing habits, but you can't really safely skip breath in ffm put yourself at risk of CO2 exposure.

I wouldn't recomend a ffm for a rec diver. Even for Tec diving it isn't really needed. Sure comms are useful and you can use that in ffm to the surf, and as well if you are diving in semi contaminated water its needed. but overall they are a novilty that add more tasks when things go south.

@Lake Hickory Scuba I normally dive OTS, but am thinking of switching to ocean reef (for lots of the reasons you said). Earlier you mentioned that the mask works with OTS comms. Is that true? I ask because most of my coworkers dive w/ OTS (but the reefs just fit me better).

The Ocean Reef GSM and the OTS Buddy Phone are compatiable. You simply switch the channel on the Buddy Phone over to match the frequency of the GSM, and both divers can communicate. Both myself (Ocean Reef with GSM) and one of my PSD'd (OTS with Buddy Phone) dive together on a regular basis without any communication issues.

My company owns a Ocean reef for certain jobs, but I do not like the fit feel of it. I use a scubapro FFM but I would also like to have an OTS Guardian. If cost was not a concern I would probably go with one of the Kirby Morgan M-48 models.

there is not other options. ocean reef is so far the only one. simply because of others sucks balls.
I bought most of them. especially krby morgan. the worst you will ever use. good quality bad design thing.

ocean reef with communication system is all you need really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom