FFM - Which one should I choose ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been looking to buy a FFM mask. I want to go that route.
I've narrowed to the new OTS Spectrum or I could get a great deal with a new Ocean Reef Neptune Space G.divers.
The Neptune needs also a SAV (Surface Air Valve) and a new LP hose with quick disconnect coupling. Those two accessories are not available for the OTS.
For those with experience in FFM which one should I choose ?

bit difficult to answer. Why do you need a FFM, and why did you narrow it down to those two?

My personal FFM is a Poseidon Atmosphere. I chose that because it is easily compatible with the rest of my regulators that are all Poseidon and I think it is more comfortable than the other masks that I've used. That said, it is not compatible with any sort of ambient breathing valve. I don't really think they're that necessary, but that's me personally.

I have a lot of experience with the OTS AGA and Guardian masks with preference to the Guardian for comfort and ease of use. The stealth is supposedly really nice with their new second stage but I haven't tried it yet.

@anelson-OTS can weigh in on whether the Spectrum ABV is out yet. I thought I had heard the MTS-ABV for the Mantis was compatible from someone, but could be wrong.

I know @The Chairman has a Spectrum and he seems to be really happy with it. Big advantage to that unit is the silicone oronasal pocket that allows you to equalize normally *I don't have an issue with the blocks, but a lot of people do*, and it allows you to use your own second stages which is really nice. Not sure if you have any OTS, Ocean Reef, Poseidon etc. repair centers down where you are, but if you go with the Spectrum you won't have to worry about any of that while still gaining the ability to use a comm system if you want.

I personally put Ocean Reef 3rd on my list of FFM's for a myriad of reasons.
@Lake Hickory Scuba uses Ocean Reef's though and Bryan may be willing to weigh in on why he chose that. Video on the FFM in question below and there are several other FFM videos on the Ocean Reef line.

Regarding quick connects. With the Spectrum, since you are using your own regulator, any quick connects that you want to use are going to be available.
Link below to a QD from Omniswivel via @Dive Right In Scuba who sells both masks in question. This will work on any second stage that uses a normal hose. The AGA and Poseidon require adapters that are also available from Omniswivel and DRIS has them on their website. IIRC the Neptune uses normal regulator hoses, the current Poseidon comes with a hose adapter to normal hoses as stock from Poseidon, and the Stealth masks from OTS use standard scuba hoses which is nice. With that, the QD below is great and will allow you to make any gas switches that you need however if you are planning on doing it regularly, I'd really recommend getting a switch block with a QD on one of the inlets so you aren't ever truly without gas...
Omni Swivel Regulator Quick Disconnect | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

bit difficult to answer. Why do you need a FFM, and why did you narrow it down to those two?

My personal FFM is a Poseidon Atmosphere. I chose that because it is easily compatible with the rest of my regulators that are all Poseidon and I think it is more comfortable than the other masks that I've used. That said, it is not compatible with any sort of ambient breathing valve. I don't really think they're that necessary, but that's me personally.

I have a lot of experience with the OTS AGA and Guardian masks with preference to the Guardian for comfort and ease of use. The stealth is supposedly really nice with their new second stage but I haven't tried it yet.

@anelson-OTS can weigh in on whether the Spectrum ABV is out yet. I thought I had heard the MTS-ABV for the Mantis was compatible from someone, but could be wrong.

I know @The Chairman has a Spectrum and he seems to be really happy with it. Big advantage to that unit is the silicone oronasal pocket that allows you to equalize normally *I don't have an issue with the blocks, but a lot of people do*, and it allows you to use your own second stages which is really nice. Not sure if you have any OTS, Ocean Reef, Poseidon etc. repair centers down where you are, but if you go with the Spectrum you won't have to worry about any of that while still gaining the ability to use a comm system if you want.

@Lake Hickory Scuba uses Ocean Reef's though and Bryan may be willing to weigh in on why he chose that. Video on the FFM in question below and there are several other FFM videos on the Ocean Reef line.

Regarding quick connects. With the Spectrum, since you are using your own regulator, any quick connects that you want to use are going to be available.
Link below to a QD from Omniswivel via @Dive Right In Scuba who sells both masks in question. This will work on any second stage that uses a normal hose. The AGA and Poseidon require adapters that are also available from Omniswivel and DRIS has them on their website. IIRC the Neptune uses normal regulator hoses, the current Poseidon comes with a hose adapter to normal hoses as stock from Poseidon, and the Stealth masks from OTS use standard scuba hoses which is nice. With that, the QD below is great and will allow you to make any gas switches that you need however if you are planning on doing it regularly, I'd really recommend getting a switch block with a QD on one of the inlets so you aren't ever truly without gas...
Omni Swivel Regulator Quick Disconnect | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

Thanks for your detailed explanation.
Thinking it twice, the quick connect should also be needed with the Spectrum and are available.
Why narrowed to those two. OTS Spectrum is an affordable FFM, as it comes without the second stage. I could use one of my regulators for it. As It's only the silicon part of the mask and lens, service is minimal.
OR Neptune I could get a great deal but only for it. No other brands or models.

Big advantage to that unit is the silicone oronasal pocket that allows you to equalize normally
That was huge for me. Set up was as long as it took to mount the regulator. No fussing about blocks and such.

Just like a half-mask, the first parameter is the one that fits. Being able to swap non-proprietary regulators is a big deal in terms of maintenance and field repairability, to say nothing of purchase and cost of ownership. It would not take a lot of imagination to rig a surface breathing valve or even a snorkel to the Spectrum if you are motivated. Also, a glass is less of a PITA for a lens than plastic... but none of that matters if it doesn't fit your face.

Everyone will point you to ots and they are an industry leader in recreational diving, but I'd like to submit the Kirby-Morgan M-48mod1 full face mask. It is cheaper than an ots guardian, built with legendary KM quality, and is the absolute best ffm I have ever used.

Everyone will point you to ots and they are an industry leader in recreational diving, but I'd like to submit the Kirby-Morgan M-48mod1 full face mask. It is cheaper than an ots guardian, built with legendary KM quality, and is the absolute best ffm I have ever used.

Hollis is selling that one too yeah? Downside to that one is no nose breathing or defog right?T

Hollis is selling that one too yeah? Downside to that one is no nose breathing or defog right?T

Yeah there is no nose breathing but it's significantly reduced volumes compared to an ots or ocean reef. Some people don't like that it's closer to a traditional scuba mask tho.

I bought the ocean reef masks about a month ago. They do take some getting used to, although I think that probably applies to ANY FFM.

The nasal blocks are not a big deal, it took all of 10 minutes one time to get them setup.

You can breathe from your nose with the ocean reef if you so choose. There's no special technique involved. I think akimbo once told me that nose breathing increases your SAC, but I don't remember the details.

The Neptune needs also a SAV (Surface Air Valve) and a new LP hose with quick disconnect coupling. Those two accessories are not available for the OTS.
Ocean reef uses a standard low pressure hose that you would have used on your standard regulator. That means if you want a swivel and/or a quick disconnect, you just get a regular quick disconnect or swivel. It also means you could put another QD on your standard regulator to instantly swap back and forth between FFM and standard second stage. Ocean reef does indeed sell their own hose with a QD on the end, but there's nothing special about it other than the price tag.

I didn't have to adjust the IP on my scubapro mk25 first stage for use with the ocean reef.

I opted to skip the quick disconnect but I did put a swivel on mine.

The Surface Air Valve (SAV) is a must. This way you can avoid wasting your tank gas while you're on the boat and while you're floating around if you've got to wait for pickup - without removing the mask from your face. I can't imagine the other brands omit some kind of SAV option - but I don't know that for sure.

I do wish they'd add a snorkel tube option to the SAV, and I was thinking about making something at my local hackerspace to attach a snorkel tube to it.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="tbone1004,

[/QUOTE]

Sorry for not replying sooner, been out of town. I have been very fortunate in being able to use many different systems over the years, and if I had to narrow it down to 2 systems, it would definitely be either the OTS or Ocean Reef. Now as far as which model, well that is up to you. Currently I use the Ocean Reef G-Divers and the Ocean Reef Iron Mask. Truth be told, the biggest reason I choose the Ocean Reef over OTS, being I am a dealer for both, is simply because of my salesman who I buy Ocean Reef from. He also reps for other manufactures that I buy from as well, and since I keep him in business, he gives me really great buy ins on everything I buy. Now with that disclaimer out of the way, let me explain some of the things I really like about the Ocean Reef system.
1. Simplicity of Use
2. Cosmetics, Sounds crazy, but the truth is people like variety, and Ocean Reef offers just that in styles, colors, and features.
3. Versatility, Communication capability both underwater and on land, including cell phone operation.
4. Great Customer Service, at the dealer level.
5. Great Buy In
6. Compatible with other FFM communication systems.
7. Capable of adding prescription lenses, big selling point as a dealer.
8. FFM Specific course on how to use their mask.
9. Reliable
10. And lastly, I look really SUPER COOL wearing it. Sorry couldn't resist.

Now OTS has some of the same Pro's as Ocean Reef, so it's still your choice, just thought I would explain why I use Ocean Reef. The OTS Guardian, in my opinion is probably the most comfortable FFM I have worn, this of course being for my face shape, I just like the looks of the Ocean Reef better. Both fit just fine on me. And as stated, looks mean a lot to people. Before you buy I would check with your local dive shop and see if they have any models you can demo in the pool.

Here is a few videos showing you some of the other features and some discussions on how to mount accessories to the Ocean Reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom