Question FFM 'oscillating' on inhale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kurt64

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I used my new Ocean Reef Space Extender for the first time today. The issue I'm having is strange. When I inhale, the mask will "oscillate" (pump in and out on my face) about 50% of the time. What causes this and how is it rectified?

This is normally caused by overbreathing the mask. You are trying to inhale too much too quickly. This can particularly happen if you get anxious or are working hard (swimming against current, swimming fast, etc). But it can also be caused by the reg in the mask not being tuned correctly or an improper fit.

Try and take slower, calmer breaths and see if that helps.

EDIT: Also, I would take down the "For sale" tag on your post title. If people see something "for sale" that appears broken as a post title, they won't be expecting this to be a post asking for advice and you may miss some help.

Make sure you strap it on in the correct order, it's centered, you don't over tighten it, your hair isn't between the seal and your face

Sounds very simple but I think it takes about 10-30 dives to figure out how to do this correctly consistently

If im understanding you correctly, i get the same problem if my seal isn’t fitting properly.

Not sure how i had the sale tag showing. I don't have any issues with the seal...it is absolutely leak free. Straps were done in order according to the manufacturer. Slower or shallower breathing helped a little, but not much. I will need to experiment more with setup, I guess. Thanks for the input everyone!

I had the same on my Spectrum with the Kraken on my test dine in a training pool. I believe I messed up with the strapping and the mouth piece seemed to be tilted. I blamed the relative softness of the mouth area of the spectrum but after readjusting the straps the issue disappeared and didn't come back. I had a dive yesterday with the setup and except the increased air consumption due to the FFM and mostly to my total lack of practice with this new setup, everything was smooth and nice.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20220830-193643.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220830-193643.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 48
Happens on my OTS Guardian if I inhale too quickly. I tried an Ocean Reef during FFM training and noticed it did the same thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom