FFM failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo, I have a couple of questions about the OTS Full Face Mask you were using. It appears that you kept the regulator off the mask as you were walking into the water. You then put the regulator into the mask, and used it for a while. I have two photos from screen shots of you video.

The first shows you using the OTS FFM, without problems. The second shows the mask being taken off and your attempt to use the regulator without the mask. I also found this website with an OTS FFM, which states about the mask:
I have highlighted one section, about the removable second stage, that it "can't be used w/o mask." So my question is why you would try to use it without the mask?

Also, I'm curious as to whether the regulator could have been re-attached to the mask underwater? I'm not familiar with this FFM, and so the question. I know the mask was flooding, but it seems possible that the regulator could have been reattached to the mask, and then used to purge the mask itself. Is this out of the realm of possibility?

John
I am not the diver in the video.

That is a YouTuber called Sam Sam the Adventure Man. He is a former commercial diver and rescue captain, and also used to work with Jared on Adventures With purpose. I only know him in passing having worked with AWP on a vehicle recovery.

I am not the diver in the video.

That is a YouTuber called Sam Sam the Adventure Man. He is a former commercial diver and rescue captain, and also used to work with Jared on Adventures With purpose. I only know him in passing having worked with AWP on a vehicle recovery.
My apologies; from your post above, it appeared that you were speaking of yourself as the diver in the video. I still have those questions, but don’t have any answers.

SeaRat

It appears that you kept the regulator off the mask as you were walking into the water.

Excellent catch:wink: I posted a bit ago and this more easily explains how he didn't hear the normal heavy click that it makes when you seat it correctly.

I have highlighted one section, about the removable second stage, that it "can't be used w/o mask." So my question is why you would try to use it without the mask?

The mask and 2nd stage are made to only be separable from the inside of the mask (button press) and it has no mouthpiece and instead about a 3/4" pipe (why it is not a standalone). He tried to use the 2nd because it disconnected due to the improper seat and it is said he couldn't find his other one.
I'm not familiar with this FFM, and so the question. I know the mask was flooding, but it seems possible that the regulator could have been reattached to the mask, and then used to purge the mask itself. Is this out of the realm of possibility?

John
Sure, it could have been and it is easy to do on the surface. But to get a good connection and snap it into place you would need practice to do it underwater. Could I do it, yes but I still probably would not since if it popped off like that it should have been broken.

There are a few other concerns about popping it back on though. After it is reattached and an untrained user tries to purge the mask, possibly putting himself in another panic situation as they suck a bit of water as it surrounds their face from an incorrect purge position.

Without thinking or being told about it, when you try to purge with a FFM for the first time after a flood, you most likely will at least partially fail and at depth it'll surely test the nerves. When you hit the purge and if you are not holding the bottom with your chin down and instead have your chin up, it will burp water up and over your face and even in the best situation it will not fully clear like that.

But really you should never be in a situation where the 2nd could even disconnect under water as it locks very solid with a type of metal pinch clip.
Inside lock.jpg

Mouth.jpg

I don’t think those are the OPs comments, but a quote from the author posting the video, who is a different person. I looked at the regulator schematic for the FFM and there is no exhaust port, just an inhalation port. I suppose one could breathe in through the regulator and then exhale through the nose if pressed to use the regulator without the FFM.
It has an exhaust and no mouthpiece. It is very bulky and weighted heavily to the left side of the face.

2nd.jpg

Waterone, thank you for this post above. This explains a lot. From what I can tell, the diver should not put the mask on and wade out without the regulator inserted into the mask beforehand. So this diver set himself up from the beginning for this malfunction, due to not being able to seat the second stage while wearing the mask. Is that a correct determination?

SeaRat

Waterone, thank you for this post above. This explains a lot. From what I can tell, the diver should not put the mask on and wade out without the regulator inserted into the mask beforehand.
I personally see no reason to have the mask on and the reg off after my kit is on my back. It can also be dangerous if he has another issue (such unfilled bcd on the surface) and instantly floods a nonfunctioning mask if he loses his footing below him.

While I can only speculate, my bet was he was trying to save air on his way out and to not pull air from the tank he left the 2nd disconnected from the mask. If this was indeed his reasoning, then he obviously knew even less about that particular mask and that there is a surface air knob on the right side.

So this diver set himself up from the beginning for this malfunction, due to not being able to seat the second stage while wearing the mask. Is that a correct determination?

SeaRat

IMO, with that mask he absolutely set himself up for the malfunction by not being able to assemble and check his equipment properly. When that 2nd gets seated, it has a loud snap and is extremely solid as easily verified by a pull. There is no reason that particular 2nd in working order should ever accidently pop off. If it is functioning and correctly assembled, it has to be intentionally taken apart using the button from the inside of the mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom