Fewer Itineraries to Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TightLines

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking to book a trip to Komodo this year and it seems there are fewer itineraries to Komodo than in years past.

Boats that do both itineraries (Damaii I & II, Dewi Nusantara, Arenui) seem to me to be spending more time in Raja Ampat than in years past.

Have been to Raja in the past and would like to do Komodo on the next trip.

Is this a trend or am I just looking at things differently?

Many thanks.

I think experienced liveaboards like Damai have been looking to open up diving in other regions that have been less explored so they now offer more frequent trips to Alor, Triton Bay, Ambon, Banda Sea and the Forgotten Islands, Plus Cenderawasih, which all cut into the Komodo season. This is partly due to diver demand and customer base; if you have repeat guests they don't usually wish to do the same itinerary each time, but also there are a greater number of liveaboards operating in Indonesia, since many moved there from Thailand and no longer split time between to the two nations, so competition for customers to more accessible areas such as Komodo is tighter.

I've been to Komodo 4 times and Raja Ampat twice, as much as I would happily go back to either I've decided a charter to Alor on Damai 1 will offer something a little different.

Indo Siren has Komodo trips available between June and November - love that boat and crew!

Looking to book a trip to Komodo this year
Have you looked at Mermaids Liveaboards? Mermaids I & II do 9 and 7 day itineraries respectively to Komodo in the middle 6 months of the year. I have been on the 9-day trip on Mermaid I and consider it the best of m 21 liveaboard trips thus far. One of the most convenient aspects of Mermaids Liveaboards' Komodo trips is that the boats start out of (and return to) Benoa harbour in Bali so that there is no connecting flight involved.

Supply and demand. Boats will stay in Raja as long as the season allows weather wise. Komodo Aggressor, formerly Komodo Dancer still sticks to Komodo. Also check out the Seven Seas. Mark Heighes had his wishes, it would only do Komodo, so they might spend more time in that area.

https://www.aggressor.com/komodoschedule.php

Not quite the same class as Damai, Arenui, and Dewi, but not bad. Same can be said for Mermaid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom