Few questions about diving in Victoria (mid-April) - help please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CapitanBlack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We (me and wife) will come to Victoria B.C. on April 15th and would like to have some diving - will stay for 10 days over there.

We have own scuba gear - mono 5+5 and 5+7 mm with hoods and 5mm gloves.
Is this OK for mid-April diving on these dates in Victoria or we defenitely need dry
suits? The coldest water, I ever dived was +7C - 30 min in 5+5 and 3mm gloves.
It was...a bit cold... let's say not-very-comfortable, in my wetsuite.

If DS is strongly recommended and water will be very cold - is it possible to rent them somewhere in Victoria? We would like to dive 2-4 times maybe.

What is an average water temp. this time around Victoria?

How strong are currents over there? Do we need liftbags?

Are underwater knives are allowed in Canada (or recommended)? :)

Any other suggestions about diving in the mentioned area?

Best regards and parity! :)

Regards!

The water average temp is about 7C. 5 to 7mm wetsuit will be OK or course DS would be better. They is a few shop in town that rent them, however if you don't have any experience with them I would recommend that you dive with your wetsuit.
Current can be very strong to mild depending where you diving.
Race Rock as very strong current, the Saanich inlet as very little to none
Liftbag are always a good idea if you doing boat dive. I carry mine on every dive.
Knives are allowed and strongly recommended. Lots of kelp and fishing line.
The viz, don't expect 100ft, the viz will be in the range of 25ft.
Take it easy, Maybe start with a few dives at the Breakwater(Ogden Pt dive shop is right there) before moving to more challenging dives.

Cheers

Al

What he said

The Breakwater is actually one of my favorite shore dives, easy entry and exit, lots to see. You will be cold if you do multiple dives in a wetsuit however. If you plan to ever own one you might want to consider a drysuit course on the breakwater. i.e. get some instruction and try out a drysuit, you will be more comfortable, but the wetsuits will be OK.

Ditto.
If you are doing multiple dives, a DS will really help. I did one day of 2 wetsuit dives in Puget Sound, went straight to a drysuit & never regretted it. Best dive equipment purchase ever. Be sure you have a 7mm hood too.

Thanks a lot for your help!

OK, we will try to get DS courses before... Not sure right now, If I can buy two dry suits at one shot :) - does anybody know where in Victoria we can get a DS for rent? We still have time to pass the DS course and have some practice on Geneva's lake.
Here conditions now are quite similar to B.C. (or even stronger), except of maybe currents...

Thank you again!

CapitanBlack:
Thanks a lot for your help!

OK, we will try to get DS courses before... Not sure right now, If I can buy two dry suits at one shot :) - does anybody know where in Victoria we can get a DS for rent? We still have time to pass the DS course and have some practice on Geneva's lake.
Here conditions now are quite similar to B.C. (or even stronger), except of maybe currents...

Thank you again!
Get in touch with Dan at this shop http://www.sidneydivensurf.com/
I am not sure if he rents DS but if anyone does he would know.

I have yet to run across a shop in Vancouver that does not rent dry suits. I would expect the same in Victoria. Sorry I can't be more specific.

I think finding a DS will be easy, but finding a suit that fit that another story.

Hyper-limits:
I think finding a DS will be easy, but finding a suit that fit that another story.
The joys of being an "average" size. Never think of this - everything fits :) Nothing is ever on sale though :-(

Okay, I'll try to get them here for rent or just buy at the end... have dreamed about it for a long time anyway...maybe the time is come... :)

Is it possible to see any big marine life - like sharks, orcas, whales, etc..?
I saw sharks and mantas in Egypt many times - any chances to see something big this season in Victoria?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom