Feuding Customers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga James

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My best customers are dive shops and dive clubs that charter the whole boat. I have customers that compete with each other and I try to stay neutral, but human nature makes you gravitate to the shops that bring you the biggest business benefit.

I was wondering if it is always necessary to pick one or the other when shops really start feuding with each other. I have had a little bit of this, but I just witnessed some ugly internet feuding going on in one of the marketplace forums and it made me think.

James,

Probably the best route is to stay on the high ground and not take sides in any of the sniping that sometimes goes on. No profit in it for you to choose sides and probably no need either. The shops involved in such behavior alienate more divers than they know and loose business in the process.

If both of the shops are using your services it sure is not on the same day so no direct conflict. The issue is when they are on board and start running the other operator down and how you handle that. I try and stay diplomatic and never get into that with anyone as what you say is most often not held in confidance and a trap for you to step into.

I have a rule on the boat for me and the crew; we never talk bad about the charter, the shops or the other charter boats as the passengers will make their own choices and decisions based upon the service we give them. Divers will vote with their flippers and go elsewhere based upon the level of service and the professionalism displayed.

James,

I have a rule on the boat for me and the crew; we never talk bad about the charter, the shops or the other charter boats .

We try to do the same and expand on that to include politics and religion. There is just too much chance for it to turn out in a negative way. It just blows my mind the way some shop owners, instructors and even Captain's will engage will in the defamation of others in the business online and on the boat. Often times with customers either in the discussion or witnessing it.

I was in the Ace Marine one day and I heard a couple of salty old Captains talking and one said "I got every endorsement you can think of except passenger, and honestly I don't want it cause I just really don't like people."

As dive boat Captain's we definately get our share of interaction with people, and navigating the politics of the dive industry is often a big part of that. Sometimes I wish all I had to do was run the boat.

Running the boat and the diving is the easy and fun part. Dealing with the unusual personalities and expectations of some of the passengers is the other side of the coin. Some have become life long friends and others well, not so much.

However, until they do something that warrants me not taking them out anymore (a few have gone into that catagory over the years), they are the customer and still get the best service that we can offer even if at the end of the day me and the mate are really ready for the day to end.

One of the mandatory features for the boat during the search for a new one was that it absolutely had to have a flybridge area with limited passenger access...

One of the mandatory features for the boat during the search for a new one was that it absolutely had to have a flybridge area with limited passenger access...

Dave...thats funny, because the biggest requirement I had when searching for the boat (I even drew up plans to build it) was that my helm would be in the center of the customer mix so I could have maximum interaction.

At the time my wife said.... "You wait, in a couple of years you will want a wheelhouse where you can get away from your customers."

I am not there yet, but somedays I wonder.

The most successful businessman in our home town instructs his employees to say good things about his competitors and to refer customers to them when his store cannot meet their needs. He claims it brings him business. It has sure worked for him. Unfortunately, many in the dive industry haven't figured this out. We need each other.

I was in the Ace Marine one day and I heard a couple of salty old Captains talking and one said "I got every endorsement you can think of except passenger, and honestly I don't want it cause I just really don't like people."

As dive boat Captain's we definately get our share of interaction with people, and navigating the politics of the dive industry is often a big part of that. Sometimes I wish all I had to do was run the boat.

A few months ago I was talking to my friend who work on a research ship and she summed up some of the issues with the scientists in one simple quote "cargo shouldn't talk" :)

Unfortunately, many in the dive industry haven't figured this out. We need each other.

Nothing could be truer than in dive destinations where shops think the competition is just down the street, when in fact the true competition is other geographic destinations. If everyone plays nicely and makes the destination better, everyone there benefits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom