Ferry luggage scam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not a scam or desperate employees..I love how uninformed idiots always say oh it's a scam when they are just following the rules. Think every Mexican out to scam them. Why travel to Mexico? We have traveled back and forth many times. They won't check scuba gear. We go dive cenotes and they never check our gear. It is normal for them to ask and not check it. Maybe finally doing what they are supposed to but then people start calling it a scam. Smh
I think they probably don't like handling scuba gear or anything fragile . Probably got blamed for damaging equipment or something. If you have ever seen them tossing bags why would you want them to check your gear. Airlines are no better.

As I stated earlier, in transiting PDC-Cozumel-PDC by ferry (whether I am diving Cenotes or catching an international flight out of Cancun), I have never been asked if my baggage contents are scuba gear. And I have never been refused the option of "checking" my bag.

I am wondering if this issue, from the boat crew's standpoint, turns on other considerations:

(a) if scuba gear is packed in a mesh bag it might be deemed fragile, more prone to damage, thus crew would prefer that a passenger handle and manage it on their own; hence, no checking. Perhaps this is the case for @BRT and @Okcdiver2. My gear is packed in a conventional wheeled suitcase, much like the OP's luggage, so not sure why his luggage was singled out.

(b) I am a senior citizen, 2 months away from turning 70, often travelling solo. Generally, I find airport/boat/hotel staff helpful and kind--maybe because I'm so aged.:wink:Perhaps they are less inclined to force an old bat (me) to handle it all myself. In which case, I would thank them, and note that their mother would be very proud of them.:)

I just emailed Winjet and Ultramar, requesting info on their policy re: checking bags with scuba gear. If I hear back from either, I will certainly share. I'm heading to Coz (via Cancun) in a week's time--will also look for signage re luggage restrictions.

The one time I was present to present my bag to the baggage handlers they didn't ask if it was scuba gear, even though it obviously was (mesh scuba bag, with a scuba diving group). Though the last couple of times I did the bag drag I just hand it to the bicycle porter and pay him a few bucks.

A number of years ago I was taking the Ultramar ferry from Cozumel to Playa with my SCUBA gear in a suitcase. I made the mistake of having wrapped a web weight belt around the suitcase for extra security. The baggage handler at the ferry asked me if it was SCUBA equipment in the suitcase and, when I replied in the affirmative, I was told I would have to carry it onboard myself. I have taken the ferry many times in both directions but this was the only time I encountered this situation (and the only time I used a weight belt in such a manner).

To those who doubt what I say, I suggest the next time you board the ferry you tell them there is scuba equipment in your bag as you try to check it and see how that works out. :)

i personally do not doubt what you are sayng at all. i am sure that is your personal experience. it seems like many other things in mexico, the rules are applied differently to different people on different days and probably depend a lot on who you are dealing with. come to think of it, that seems to ne the way it is at home these days too. haha if they want me to carry our luggage onboard myself, so be it. no biggy. it will take me two trips though.

i personally do not doubt what you are sayng at all. i am sure that is your personal experience. it seems like many other things in mexico, the rules are applied differently to different people on different days and probably depend a lot on who you are dealing with. come to think of it, that seems to ne the way it is at home these days too. haha if they want me to carry our luggage onboard myself, so be it. no biggy. it will take me two trips though.
And that is ok. So long as you don't say and they don't suspect it is scuba gear you can check it. Ours is obviously scuba gear, and they won't check it. So we lug it in and put it with the checked luggage.

i have not done the ferry as much as many of you here, but i have done it a number of times. i cannot say i remember ever having to carry any of my own luggage on board. we only bring on our pack sack with the regs in it.

I would prefer to bring all my luggage on board to ensure it doesn't get "lost" and to not have to wait around in the crowd for checked bags but we tried once and were blocked.

It's not a scam or desperate employees, they are just following the rules. We have traveled back and forth many times. They won't check scuba gear. We go dive cenotes and they never check our gear. It is normal for them to ask and not check it. Maybe finally doing what they are supposed to but then people start calling it a scam. Smh
I think they probably don't like handling scuba gear or anything fragile . Probably got blamed for damaging equipment or something. If you have ever seen them tossing bags why would you want them to check your gear. Airlines are no better.

I have a lot of things in my luggage more fragile than scuba gear. I haven't seen where they are anyone else in Mexico is all that concerned about getting "blamed" for something they didn't do much less actually have to be accountable for it. Airlines are better in that they don't refuse to check bags with scuba gear or cameras or laptops or anything else that isn't prohibited by TSA. But that raises the point that if you packed your gear well enough to withstand airline handling then it should be good for ferry handling.

Though the last couple of times I did the bag drag I just hand it to the bicycle porter and pay him a few bucks.
That's the way I've always done it. I think the boat crew is going to be nicer to the local porters they work with regularly.

I have been asked many times - more often than not - if my bags contained scuba gear. We use wheeled duffels with no scuba branding. In all cases, they have taken the bag and stowed it away somewhere but won't give a claim ticket for it.

There was a discussion once where some said they just say no scuba gear and the bags are taken. But if you say the bag has no scuba gear and you get your bag back to discover some scuba gear has gone missing, then what?

If fragile things are the issue then why don't they just ask if it is fragile? Wetsuits would be considered "scuba gear" and they aren't going to break if they are thrown from the top deck. But that souvenir lampshade or ceramic figurine is ok?

One thing I learned a LONG time ago. If you want to enjoy yourself in Mexico, you don't try to swim upstream. Just go with the flow. Rules change daily, depending on who is interpreting them. It's not all that hard to pull your suitcase onto the ferry and keep it with you. It's what I would prefer to do but often get stopped and told I need to check my bag. Sure. Whatever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom