Ferry between Curacao and Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muzicgirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello!

I was wondering why there wasn't a ferry/boat service between Curacao and Bonaire. We have to travel between the islands in September and would do just about anything to not have to get on one of those tiny propellar planes. It is bad enough that I am terrified of flying. Has there ever been a ferry or boat service or it wasn't worth it to run? Seems like it could be a popular and relaxing option and add more dive time to a vacation with no flight in between!
-M

Every wonder why the ferry between St Marteen and Saba is the vomit comet???

There used to be a passengers ferry between the islands of Curacao and Bonaire. But there weren't enough people who took this way of transport (it took about 4 hours, one way), so they went out of business.

Before that we had the "Almirante Luis Brion" who also went to Coro in Venezuela, but that's more than 20 years ago. The Luis Brion could transport cars.

Unless you charter a boat, the airlines are the only way to get to Bonaire from Curacao.

K.

A ferry would be cool. I'm going to be in Bonaire in a few weeks. I plan on doing a lot of diving but it would be nice to take an afternoon or maybe just my no-fly day and see another country.

They did have one called "Chigogo" (flamingo in papiamentu). It was a vehicle, person ferry. From what I can see a lot of persons and vehicles utilized the service at the beginning. Unfortunately, it was VERY unreliable. It could take as little as 2 hours to get to Curacao to Bonaire and up to 4.5 hours back (due to high winds, rough seas). If I recall, it was "broken down" a lot, and did not handle the sea very well. Unreliability led to a huge decrease in service, hence going out of business. DAE has ATR's which have 48 seats, and are prop planes, but feel more like a normal plane, rather than a cessna (I love little planes BTW) feel.... and its a really quick flight...

Liz

Small planes don't bother me in the least but I'll be night diving on the night before my no-fly day (last day there), so that rules out just about any type of air travel.

We tried to do the ferry when we went on our honeymoon since we did a week on Bonaire and a week on Curacao. They told us they did not allow lugage so we ended up flying which cost us 2 days of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom