Ferei Light Head Build

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I don't know yet how I am going to mount... This one is perfect for helmet... I will have to figure it out as soon as I am done with it...

On another note, the o rings I ordered were somewhat of a success. I ordered a 19mmx1.5mm and that one was really close. I ordered a 21mmx1.78mm to see if that one works better (I think it will). For the bezel, I ordered a 21mmx1.5mm and screwed that up big time. So, now I have a 29mmx1.78mm coming.... On top of the lens I used a #24 SAE o ring that seems to be good. More to come in a few days when the new rings arrive.

At least you've got a great DIY pressure pot to test your light in :D

At least you've got a great DIY pressure pot to test your light in :D

Yes, I will put in in there empty and see!

I just had an idea after seeing the size of the head in your palm pic.

How about 2 of them using E/O cables to a splitter and then 1 canister, heads helmet mounted??

Those are such nice small heads.

Would runtime be a problem with 2 heads??

Last edited:
Run time at 6 amps with a 10 cell pack would be about 6 hours. Not bad... I am not into the E/O cable stuff like that though... Very expensive and limited market. It would be cool though.

On another note, I mounted the XML in the head last night and powered it with my power supply at 3 amps. Really nice. The beam is a bit floodier than with the 52mm reflector but still very usable for diving.

OK< so I finally went back to this one after the seal failure. I decided to apply clear silicone to the bezel threads and on the lens for safety. I needed about 1/8" more space in the barrel to make everything seat properly, but actually went together OK. The extra size of the taskled toggle hall effect screwed me a bit. I decided to let it dangle loose in the barrel. I hope it doesn't cook itself as the instructions call for that thermal tape to be used. Since it is not right on the wall, it required 4 magnets for operation. Don't worry these are really small magnets! About 1/32 thick by 3mm diameter??? I will probably put a hole on the canister lid and set them in the lid with JB weld. Then just swipe the head over the canister and light it up.

I changed the internals to Cree XML with Kaidomain 17mm driver with 3 modes. Overall, I am really happy with the build for the first prototype. We'll see if it holds up.

Have to get a canister now.

I also thought of putting the magnet on the canister (and I just might still do that as a back-up). One good thing about it is less problems with a compass if you wrist mount on your left.

Are you still using the OP reflector with the XML?

I take it no luck with the OMS cans?

I also thought of putting the magnet on the canister (and I just might still do that as a back-up). One good thing about it is less problems with a compass if you wrist mount on your left.

Are you still using the OP reflector with the XML?

I take it no luck with the OMS cans?

Yes, OP stock reflector on the XML.

OMS cans, no luck with OMS.... Good news, though, the problem is getting the lids. So I have asked if I can buy a bunch of tubes and I'll have a machine shop manufacture the lids for me. This should keep it a lot cheaper.

If they don't sell me the tube, I have figured out the material of the OMS tube to be clear PVC in 2" diameter. The dimensions are exact! SO, I can have a machine shop make them cheaper by using tube. I am waiting for a response.

Does OMS PVC get brittle in cold water? It is a rather thick PVC tube though.

Does OMS PVC get brittle in cold water? It is a rather thick PVC tube though.

Have not heard of any problems with that. Also, it is clear PVC so it may have different properties than grey or white.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom