Female Diver Missing on The Yukon, San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lack of bouyancy does not appear to be a contributor, Poor conditions, visibility, and separation of local talent are. I know this was Staci's first wreck dive and being paired with another likely first time student as opposed to someone familiar with wrecks and local conditions did nothing to help, Apparently Staci was was deceased when the DM made contact eyes wide open no regulator in mouth would indicate that, the lack of assistance bothers me, how separated did the class become? And the tanks being empty puzzles me Scripps reported no stuck OPV and for the regulator to stay in perfect position to repeatedly bump the purge button doesn't work for me either, She did not have a weight belt when she left florida only integrated weights. I will say for certain this "Zero to Hero" certification process not only endangers students but students who will be under future tutelage, She did not have enough hours/experience for that certification. There are additional reports due from several agencies I will share what I am able.
Dive safe!

I just discussed with an instructor going out with him to help with some new OW students. I get a free "supervising" 2 dives out of it, nothing more. I offer my services to him to minimise the chance of the above type of death happening. The instructor gets "hopefully" a safer approach to having his students well supervised. His intent is safely, safely, safely. He has just been through trying to save a certified diver who got into trouble in 6 m water in a small bay. He happened to be there teaching try divers and responded when he realised there was trouble, unfortunately with sad results.

One thing that bothered me (mildly) when I read the report, was how she descended with her buddy holding hands. I've seen couples do that in tropical waters where the conditions are easy, but in California waters you do need both hands free and available to take care of yourself.

I don't know where "perez" dives, but presumably somewhere cold that's customarily dived in thick wetsuits. That's when personal buoyancy varies the most between surface and depth. There is a tendency these days for people to use BC's/wings with too little lift, perhaps because it looks "cool". IMO you need sufficient weight to descend (slowly) from the surface, and sufficient buoyancy to float comfortable at the surface with all the gear you want to carry, and to facilitate positive buoyancy at the bottom with all the gear you brought down plus some more (in case you want to recover something). When I'm doing serious diving (non-recreational) in warm water I use a Superwing, and there was one occasion in the Red Sea when I doubt if I would have survived but for that wing. A friend on the same dives uses a Travel Wing, and for my preference tat has way too little lift to provide any safety margin.

lack of bouyancy does not appear to be a contributor, Poor conditions, visibility, and separation of local talent are. I know this was Staci's first wreck dive and being paired with another likely first time student as opposed to someone familiar with wrecks and local conditions did nothing to help, Apparently Staci was was deceased when the DM made contact eyes wide open no regulator in mouth would indicate that, the lack of assistance bothers me, how separated did the class become? And the tanks being empty puzzles me Scripps reported no stuck OPV and for the regulator to stay in perfect position to repeatedly bump the purge button doesn't work for me either, She did not have a weight belt when she left florida only integrated weights. I will say for certain this "Zero to Hero" certification process not only endangers students but students who will be under future tutelage, She did not have enough hours/experience for that certification. There are additional reports due from several agencies I will share what I am able.
Dive safe!

MacDyver60, was your daughter using an air-integrated computer that might be able to be downloaded so you can see her air consumption and when the majority of air depleted?

Mac,

I respectfully disagree with your first sentence. There was some type of buoyancy issue involved, though I don't know/understand the full mechanics of it. It was reported to me that at no time during Staci's recovery, on the way up (without her weight belt) did her body ever get anything more than "neutral". This means she was significantly negative at the bottom (again, w/o her weight belt on). Even given tissue saturation by salt water and no air in her lungs at all this was very surprising to me and unusual. Also deemed unusual by some of those involved in the recovery efforts.

I agree with you about the other causal factors you mention.

VR,

Bill

lack of bouyancy does not appear to be a contributor, Poor conditions, visibility, and separation of local talent are...

---------- Post added March 20th, 2013 at 02:11 PM ----------

Questions I would ask the DM who tried to rescue her (though I don't believe we'll ever get an answer):

1. Did she have her weight belt on when you tried to bring her to the surface?
2. If so, did you dump her weight belt?
3. Did you inflate her BC in order to assist you bringing her to the surface?
4. If so, how much did you inflate it?
5. In retrospect, why exactly do you think she sank when you lost your grip on her?

Bill

Last edited:
no she wasn't

---------- Post added March 25th, 2013 at 12:23 AM ----------

MacDyver60, was your daughter using an air-integrated computer that might be able to be downloaded so you can see her air consumption and when the majority of air depleted?

Noshe wasn't

---------- Post added March 25th, 2013 at 12:46 AM ----------

Mac,

I respectfully disagree with your first sentence. There was some type of buoyancy issue involved, though I don't know/understand the full mechanics of it. It was reported to me that at no time during Staci's recovery, on the way up (without her weight belt) did her body ever get anything more than "neutral". This means she was significantly negative at the bottom (again, w/o her weight belt on). Even given tissue saturation by salt water and no air in her lungs at all this was very surprising to me and unusual. Also deemed unusual by some of those involved in the recovery efforts.

Bill
Bodies do not generally become positively bouyant for several days until gases caused by trapped bacteria cause them to become positively bouyant, I have no idea who is "reporting" to you but I would suggest reading the ME's report and awaiting official reporting from the remaining agencies agencies involved.
Reportedly she was washed into the structure with enough force to disorient or render her unconscious and separating her from her dive buddy, She was deceased when the DM encountered her. The numerous remaing questions will be answered or asked upon completion of the remaining investigations.

Yes, certainly. I'm actually the one who posted the Medical Examiner's report a few pages back, as I was on their mailing list.

Vr,

Bill

---------- Post added March 25th, 2013 at 02:24 PM ----------

Mac,

Can you share with us what other investigations are currently happening?

Bill

The numerous remaing questions will be answered or asked upon completion of the remaining investigations.

Camp Pendleton marine Staci Jackson, 26, died during a diving excursion off Mission Beach on Dec. 1, 2012
By Paul Krueger, NBC San Diego
|
The owners and employees of a local diving school and charter boat company are being accused of negligence and wrongful death in a December 2012 diving accident that killed a woman off the San Diego coast.

Staci Jackson, 26, was a Camp Pendleton Marine who loved diving in her spare time. But a deep sea adventure near Mission Beach took her life on December 1, 2012.

On that day, Jackson and four other divers were exploring the HMCS Yukon shipwreck, the site of a sunken military ship, two miles west of Mission Beach.

The ocean wreckage is a wonderland of nooks and crannies for experienced divers. However, it’s also a dangerous deep-sea playground.

Jackson went missing during the dive and failed to surface. Hours later, lifeguard officials found her body in the water, in a crevice of the Yukon shipwreck diving site.

Now, more than six months after Jackson’s death, her mother has filed a lawsuit against the diving company. She says the organizers of the dive trip share the blame for her daughter’s death.

The Jackson family’s attorney, Jim Frantz, says an ocean surge pushed Jackson into her dive partner, or into the hull of the Yukon, and knocked her unconscious. Frantz says the surf was high that day, and conditions for the dive were dangerous.

“That dive never should have taken place," says attorney Jim Frantz.

Frantz says the dive boat operator and diving instructors should have called off the dive because the surf and swells were much too big for a safe dive.

“Seven to 12 foot surf,” Frantz told NBC 7. “Extremely heavy surge. Extremely hazardous. Two other boating companies refused to go out, it was too dangerous. And this was a novice diver that they took down to the bottom."

Veteran diver Neal Matthews agrees that diving around the Yukon can be very dangerous.

The Navy-trained underwater expert helped establish the Yukon shipwreck as a destination point for diving adventures 13 years ago.

But Matthews himself told NBC 7, “I dove it twice and after the second dive, I said ‘never again’."

He's not surprised that at least three other divers never returned alive from the Yukon, and says even veteran divers can underestimate the dangers inside that rusted hull, especially in rough ocean waters.

"The surge rushes into those holes and causes all kinds of swirling and strange currents,” Matthews says. “On a bad day, you can really get slammed up against a bulk head."

A representative from Oceanside SCUBA and Swim Center, which, according to the lawsuit, organized Jackson’s diving trip, declined to comment about Frantz’s allegations and the negligence lawsuit.

Meanwhile, Ryan Wilbarger – the Captain of the dive boat “Humboldt” involved in this fatal diving accident -- insists that he and his company did absolutely nothing wrong that day.

Wilbarger says he warned Jackson and the other divers to surface immediately if the waters were unsafe.

Wilbarger says December 1, 2012, was “not a bad day” for diving, and says Jackson’s fellow Marines personally thanked him for his efforts to recover Jackson’s body.

He says the allegations in the negligence lawsuit are “absolutely asinine” and, in his words, “a complete fabrication.”

Wilbarger says the lawsuit is nothing more than a financial “shakedown” that will damage San Diego’s diving industry.

Ugh, so predictable. One wonders whether they'd have contemplated a lawsuit had their child perished during an assault on a hill that "never should have taken place."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom