Female diver dies (Aruba)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a picture and brief story in one of the local papers, but it was written in Papiamento. I didn't recognize the boat in the photo, but it appears to be name Amigo. I believe that it operates out of the main harbor

It is Clive from Dive Aruba. You can see his logo on the side of the boat.

Most of the dive sites that tourists go to are relatively close to both the marina and Palm Beach. With a center console boat like that you can go quite fast.

From pictures it is obvious that there was no medical activities going on when they reached the marina.

This is very sad.

This is from another Aruba centered board. The poster lives on the island:

chaleco111:
Hi all
What I heard was the following:
This happened to the spouse of couple that has been diving with Clive for years and always go back to him, with good reason. Clive is known as one of the more safe divers on Aruba and pays a great deal of attention to the welfare of his divers.

The day prior to the accident, the lady in question had been coughing and not feeling 100%. On the dive day, it seems as if Clive asked her several times if she was feeling OK and if she was up to the dive. She confirmed that she was. While they were diving, the lady motioned (signaled) that she she needed to go up and Clive went with her. She pulled herself up on a Guide-Rope attached to the boat and got to the top. Clive entered the boat and took of his equipment to assist her and when he turned, she was in the water staring downward. clive called out to her but she was motionless. He then grabbed her arm and brought her on deck immediately and gave her the proper emergency assistance, however it was too late.

The husband, knows Clive for the many years of diving that I mentioned and he absolutely does not hold clive at fault in any manner.

The family has taken the proper steps with the handling of the ladies body and are of course grief stricken. To say the least, Clive is heart broken at the loss of his long time Canadian diving friend.

That - is what I heard from several sources.

be well
charles

This is from another Aruba centered board. The poster lives on the island:

The Windsor Star (Windsor, Ontario Canada) reports today (Tuesday) that Helen Budimir-Hussey, 54, died while diving off Aruba on Christmas Eve. "A mother of three, Budimir-Hyssey was known for her extensive involvement in such community organizations as the Canadian Cancer Society, the Rotary Club of LaSalle-Centennial and the Serbian Heritage Museum and Library."

There will be a visitation at the Families First Funeral Home, Dugall Road in Windsor on Thursday 2pm to 5pm and 7 to 9pm on Friday. There will be a service at the funeral home on Saturday at 11.30 am.

Would someone be so kind as to post the link to the Aruba newspaper story?

Stephen Weir
Diver Magazine
former Windsor, Ontario resident

Did leave a post on the Aruba board to see if an inquest had been conducted. Only one reply and the poster suggested that the island probably didn't have the facilities to conduct an autopsy. Most country's conduct inquests following dive accidents ... the Cdn papers are calling this a scuba accident, yet, upon reading postings on this board, it sounds more like a fatal exsisting health related problem. Anyone know the cause of death?

Apparently, if she came up without a problem, it was not scuba related. It had to be a health problem. That's the only thing. I would also like to know what the cause of death was.

I wonder if her coughing and relative illness beforehand should have been more of a warning. She said she felt fine and really she should know. I often make exactly that same call when faced with minor irritants on dive trips and with playing football and golf.

This kind of thing concerns me because I have to face making those decisions also. You know the ones where you say to yourself that you have come all this way to dive. You aren’t going to let a headache, a cold, a sore back, fatigue, etc keep you from enjoying the trip. This tends to become more of an issue a few days into a trip when my body has endured back to back 4-dive days.

It is hard for me to know when to listen to my own body sometimes. I say this only as a general idea motivated by what I read. I am not in any way trying to prematurely analyze what happened here.

I am very sorry to all those affected by this sad story.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom