Feeling ill after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lynn18

New
Reaction score
Hello, I'm brand new here so sorry if this is in the wrong spot!

I'm also brand new to diving and am currently getting PADI certified. We've gone diving in the pool twice this week. I feel great during the lesson and at the surface, but the next day I feel ill. It's nausea (I've thrown up once), dizziness, and just a generally foggy feeling.

Could this be diving related? If not I may just have picked up a bug of some kind. I'm just worried that it will be worse when I dive in open water and go deeper if it is scuba related.

Thanks so much.

Has this happened twice now?
If so, how much time was there in-between episodes?
What is your level of physical fitness?
Are you experiencing any associated ear pain or problems hearing (muffled sounds)?

It's certainly possible that you are sick with some kind of bug (non-diving related).
It's also possible that your vestibular system (inner ear) is getting a little messed up due to inexperience with ear equalization techniques. This can certainly lead to dizziness and nausea.
Be patient with it. Don't attempt to go diving if you're already feeling bad.
If you do attempt to dive, remember to equalize early and often. Descend under control (slowly) to give your ears the best chance to equalize. The last thing you want is a ruptured eardrum.
Check out the link in my signature to learn about "Ear Fear" and the multiple techniques for ear equalization. Some people think that there's only the Valsalva (pinch nose and blow) or the swallowing technique. There are other techniques out there. Find out what works best for you.

See a doctor if the illness persists or you become more worried that it is, in fact, diving-related.
Divers Alert Network can give you a list of dive-savvy physicians in your locale.

Good luck with your basic OW training...

Has this happened twice now? If so, how much time was there in-between episodes? We went on Monday, so Tuesday I felt a bit rough, then we went on Wednesday and now today I feel much worse.
What is your level of physical fitness? I'm pretty fit, I exercise regularly. I don't feel tired when diving.
Are you experiencing any associated ear pain or problems hearing (muffled sounds)? My ears have been all good.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions, I will read that link.

It doesn't sound like you're getting dizzy during the dive or immediately thereafter, right?
If you aren't having problems with stuffiness/muffling/pain, then whatever technique you're using for ear equalization seems to be working...although it's common for OW students to have issues with that aspect of the training.

I'd adopt a wait-and-see attitude. If you're feeling 100% on the day of your next in-water class, then it's worth giving it a go. It wouldn't hurt to let your instructor know you were feeling a little "ill" after your previous two dive classes. He/she can keep a weather eye on you in class in case any related issues might pop up. If you aren't feeling well during the class, by all means abstain from diving until you can figure out the causative factor. This may involve consulting a health care professional who'll review any medications you're taking, look at related medical conditions, and possibly do some tests to make sure it's safe for you to dive.

Lynn

My wife went through this during our OW and for enough dives after for her to question doing it...after Dr visits to her GP and to an ENT (neither of which had a clue - the ENT guy actually suggested she use ear plugs)

We went back to the LDS and asked them for a Dr with a clue...in speaking with the LDS owner we discovered that it may be CO2 in her system. He thought she might be a "carbon dioxide retainer"

He suggested that after she complete her dive, AND just before starting to ascend for her to take 5 or 6 "deep cleansing breaths", as if you were saying "huh" deep in your stomach and watch the bubbles float up. She has made more than 30 dives since starting to use this and has yet to be sick/queasy/nauseous.

She did send this in to Dive Training Magazine, and it was published a year ago.

Hope this helps

Co2 may be it. It could also be dehydration. I generally feel crummy if I don't stay hydrated.

It would be highly unusual for the effects of CO2 retention to manifest the day after a dive day. Usually, a headache and related symptoms occur shortly after the dive.

Dehydration is a possibility. Once again, though, I'd expect the symptoms to occur closer to the time of diving. The delay of symptom onset is puzzling. Based on the timeline of events, it's possible that the OP was already getting sick on Monday with some sort of "bug." This explains feeling ill on Tuesday. Maybe the excitement/anticipation of Wednesday class masked worsening symptoms of the illness and now the OP is feeling even more sick. :idk:

Thanks for the replies everyone. One thing about me not feeling it quickly after diving is that my class ends at 10pm so when I get home I go to bed pretty quick...therefore I might not be noticing it early. The dehydration is something I hadn't thought of, though I drink almost exclusively water so I'm not sure how likely it is.

It feels like it has passed now which makes me worry it isn't a flu bug of some kind. I'll probably just check with a doctor so I can feel better about diving again.

It occurred to me as I was reading, that if you are diving in a pool, you could be having an allergic reaction to the pool chemicals. One more thing to consider...

Lynn,
Are you using your own equipment? If not, it might be worth finding out how the dive shop is sanitizing its regulators. You might either be picking up a bug from poorly cleaned equipment, or possibly having a reaction to the sanitizing agent if the reg is not rinsed sufficiently and you're ingesting a small amount of whatever they're using. Admittedly it's a bit of a reach, but it might help you rule out equipment issues if this keeps happening. Another thought: did you have dinner before your pool sessions? If so, was it the same place both nights?
Best regards,
DDM

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom