Feedback on dive sites up in the Northern Luzon Areas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bisugo767

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am curious if any local diver has explored or know about diving around the Babuyan Islands or Ilocos Norte or Cagayan. I have not heard or read anything about diving in these areas. I am planning some sort of expedition to scout out new and potential shore or boat dives around those areas but I would like to find out from you guys if you know anything. All the fun seems to be focused on the Southern Luzon, Visayas and some parts of Mindanao. I have a suspicion that currents might be strong up there since it is where the Atlantic and South China Sea directly meet.

there's a dive op that does the san fernando/ lingayen straits area... ok daw... but from my experience la union viz is about 12 inches on a good day... don't know what happens further off shore

Jag

a friend dove in la union. dive op was Ocean Deep i think. no kidding. there's supposed to be a wreck with WWII tanks there at around 140 feet.

There's a dive resort in Ilocos norte. Just google it. babuyan I've snorkelled. Like most areas here in the Philippines it is overfished but the corals are intact. Terrific place to see and hear humo back whales though.

Around Babuyan a friend who was able to dive it a few years back said that the water is colder and that they have kelp--not surprising , considering how cold it gets.

Guys, thanks for the response. It seems that those areas I mentioned are mostly undiscovered. It is surprising to know that there is a dive shop up in Ilocos Norte. It is also nice to know about the feedback concerning the presence of kelp, possible large pelagics, and colder water diving. This will add another dimension to Philippine diving. From the feedback above, it sounds more like diving off the So. California coast. I have not dove So. Cal. yet but I have read a lot about it.

there's a dive op that does the san fernando/ lingayen straits area... ok daw... but from my experience la union viz is about 12 inches on a good day... don't know what happens further off shore

Jag

12-inches viz...wow. Not much to see. It must be due to the silty run-off from LaUnion area. For better viz, you will definitely have to go farther out. It is the same thing here in Vancouver. During spring and fall (when it rains a lot), silt run-off from the mountains make shore dive viz horrible. However, during the dry season (summer and winter), viz improves to around 20-ft. or more. However, if you take a boat and dive in sites farther from shore, viz improves dramatically.

The reason I am inquiring about dive sites up north is because I am planning on under-taking a major personal project. I am just doing some research right now but it all has something to do with further promoting the dive tourism industry in the Philippines in my own little way. I am planning to take 3 to 4 months off from work sometime starting Feb. 2009. I am almost burned-out and need to think/do something else aside from my work/career. I am still thinking of either spending that time to obtain my DM cert. and work in a dive shop for a while. Or, travel around the Northern half of Luzon discovering new dive sites and do my personal project (i.e. write a book about off-the-beaten path Philippine dive sites). The book project is an ambitious one which will require a team of like-minded and adventurous members. It is fun and hard-work at the same time but most-defintely rewarding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom