February diving in S.E. Asia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFO Joe

New
Reaction score
We will be returning for the third year in a row to the Similan Islands for a liveaboard trip in late Jan. Afterwards we want to dive somewhere else in S.E. Asia during the first week of Feb. Any suggestions? I understand it is monsoon season in much of the area. Which great dive sites in the region are outside the monsoon zone or are still good inside the zone? Sipadan? Bunaken? ?

Weeeel, it is kind of low season all over SE Asia except for Thailand's Andaman coast. I might suggest MORE diving in Thailand. You say you have done Similan a couple of times before - what about the dive sites south of Phuket - Hin Daeng and Hin Muang. Got to be my favourites, and have been the best sites for the big fish in the last couple of seasons:

Hin Daeng

Hin Muang

There are several boats doing 2 day trips to these sites.

Or, I hate to say it, another liveaboard. Have you thought about the Mergui Archipelago. February is a good time there. The Burma dive sites were well known for big fish and I must say last time I was there we saw Grey Reef sharks, one (one) big Silvertip, and highlight for me a school of devil rays. In the last few years a lot of divers have been going for the macro life.

Liveaboards in Burma

Other than that, my colleague reckons the best bet would be Lembeh, which is muck diving anyway so a bit of rain and lower vis is just fine :)

Lembeh Strait

What boat are you booked on for the Similan Islands?

Hope you enjoy your travels and diving,

Jamie

Although in late January you will be here in Thailand well into the second half of the season for the Andaman sea, you should consider remaining in the western part of SEAsia rather than going to the South China Sea area. Right now the monsoon season is in full swing in the eastern region; things should begin to improve in the Gulf of Thailand about the time you are here, but it's hard to know for certain when the weather will change for the better. (As an example, it's *still* raining here on Phuket, though we're 6 weeks into the "dry" season already.) Sipadan can be dived year-round, but the viz suffers in the rainy season. Same for other points east like Koh Tao in the Gulf of Thailand.

If it were me, I'd try to get out to the Andaman Islands (India)--via liveaboard from Phuket or directly from Port Blair; or maybe to Pulau Wei (Indonesia) by way of Medan; or even Koh Lipe/Tarutao marine park (way down south in Thailand) by way of Satun. All of these are in the western part of the region, and accessible at that time of year.

SFO Joe:
We will be returning for the third year in a row to the Similan Islands for a liveaboard trip in late Jan. Afterwards we want to dive somewhere else in S.E. Asia during the first week of Feb. Any suggestions? I understand it is monsoon season in much of the area. Which great dive sites in the region are outside the monsoon zone or are still good inside the zone? Sipadan? Bunaken? ?

SFO Joe:

FYI - whaleshark spotted at Island # 4 at The Similans yesterday! Hope it is still there when you go....enjoy the cruise!

SFO Joe:

You still can try Bali....:wink: You can find many type of dive activity. Wall dive, muck dive with many strange critter, drift dive in coral reef, wreck etc.

I'll be doing Menjangan end of this month. Hopefully the viz is good.

If you dive the Similans, I would highly recommend Sea Dragon out of Khao Lak Thailand. Very safe, fun, and professional!! Have a great trip!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom