February 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fully agree with Stevenl regarding the charts, although the 2nd chart is better than the first one.

They're never correct because there are always exceptions and not possible to dive during Nov and Dec is a load of crock since I've dive all year round on Samui including Nov and Dec although during November and early December weather conditions can keep boats in harbour. Not possible is complete nonsense for both Samui and Koh Tao.

Both charts make the same mistakes that all these charts make: they are simply not true.Not possible to dive in Koh Chang from June till September? Not possible to dive on Koh Tao in November and December? Koh Lanta no diving in summer? Big difference between Phuket/Krabi and Phi Phi? etc.

I agree totally, particularly with Koh Chang. Whilst I would not propose a specific dive trip to the island during the summer months I have been there several times during the 'no dive' period and experienced some excellent conditions.

I agree totally, particularly with Koh Chang. Whilst I would not propose a specific dive trip to the island during the summer months I have been there several times during the 'no dive' period and experienced some excellent conditions.
And the same goes for all destinations where 'no diving possible' is mentioned. Also the weather dependent part is BS BTW (well, since it is diving it is always weather dependent).

Actually Steven, Koh Lanta has been traditionally no diving this time of year, so maybe the chart is just a bit dated. When I first took courses here 5 years ago I seem to remember all the dive shops shutting down by June and not opening again until October.

At the moment there is diving in Lanta, but it is very much dependent on weather conditions - but when the conditions are right it makes for some of the best diving of the year. There was 40M vis at Ko Haa a few weeks ago!

Agreed.

It is better to constructively update the charts than to sit on the sidelines and curse at the work of others.

In other words, if the critics are so smart, produce something of value .... So others can then critique your work. It is trivial to be a critic when you don't produce anything for others to critique as well.

Agreed.

It is better to constructively update the charts than to sit on the sidelines and curse at the work of others.

In other words, if the critics are so smart, produce something of value .... So others can then critique your work. It is trivial to be a critic when you don't produce anything for others to critique as well.

Agreed but there are also times where it is better to produce nothing than to do something that is incorrect and / or misleading.
I have always preferred to source such information by contacting people in the area directly and speaking to them, rather than relying on such information as these charts that are quite generalised in their aproach to say the least.

Yes, you have a good point.

I find it is also much better to call the area and ask. I placed two calls to Koh Tao yesterday, but was told the visibility has not been very good lately and was advised that if I could wait a month or so, then I would enjoy it more.

It also seems a shout out to create an open Google spreadsheet and get people to collaborate on making a more accurate chart (with notes, caveats, etc) will go nowhere, like all our other calls for collaboration, LOL.

If we took only 10 percent of the energy here an used it for some productive collaboration, we could solve many of these issues that crop up from time-to-time. It guess human nature is to sit on the sidelines and throw stones versus to jump in a take a risk to be criticized by the pioneers who took the risk to "put something out there" for review and comment.

... as we tend to see here, there seems to be no possible chart that will not step on someones toes and livelihood....

... as we tend to see here, there seems to be no possible chart that will not step on someones toes and livelihood....

You are exactly right there, this is why I prefer to not take too much notice of such things and source local information as you have done.

And as we all know even in the 'high' season's the weather can always throw up the odd surprise or twe even in Thailand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom