Feb 7-8 weekend conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

9-11ft as predicted on Sunday is very doable for me for shore diving, especially at more protected sites. I'd probably expect some surge and surf and not the greatest viz, but I'd make the drive down 100% of the time, watch the conditions firsthand, and probably dive 9 times out of 10.

Either way, I'm glad to see it's calming down a bit, and hope it continues to do so over the next day.

Awesome, my boyfriend and I are supposhttp://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/lotsalove.gife to do our check-out dives in Monterey this weekend.

Don't stress about this. Conditions thresholds for "fun" dives are different. Chuck has a boat and likes to go out to more exposed areas of Monterey and Carmel. I've also called dives with similar (or slightly larger) forecasts, only to get pictures from dive buddies showing very nice conditions.

If the conditions are bad, your instructor will call the dive. Having assisted in classes throughout an entire year, I think that we only canceled one weekend of diving.

Since it may rain during your checkout, make sure you bring towels, heavy coats, and hot cocoa. It'll do wonders during the surface interval between your dives.

Wow so a whole bunch of us were at breakwater at 7am to go out to the barge. The waves were breaking at the tops of the stairs and the swell that followed brought enough water with it that past the 2nd step was open water. There was an open water class or two and they were mostly making it out, sans a few spills but we didnt stick around for the exit. Ended up grabbing breakfast and heading home.I heard that the DM's claimed they were able to see the bottom at about 25fsw from the surface.

NOAA:
TODAY
NE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WIND WAVES 1 FT OR LESS.
W SWELL 7 TO 12 FT AT 13 SECONDS...BUILDING TO 10 TO 15 FT AT 16
SECONDS BY AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

Last edited:
So basically if we're willing to body-surf in and out, the vis might make it worthwhile? :D

he he he, sounds like awesome conditions; especially for an OW class. hopefully conditions will pick up till next weekend.

Here's what it looked like yesterday morning at Breakwater. :shocked2:

IMG_2304_copy.jpg

IMG_2299_copy.jpg

Beach? What beach?

Wow, that is crazy. And just a week before it was crazy calm.

From what I hear, it was pretty calm just the day before.

And there were classes?????

I'm sure glad I worked on the honey-do list yesterday.

Yeah, I know of 1 class that went in but I think most changed their plans. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom