Feature request - 15 feet last stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The computer makes its calculations based upon your current pressure.

agree but the plan it has is based on using the say 10 ft setting for calculations of things like TTS. I may be wrong. If I shut off SS function,,,,, time to surface is shorter is shorter because it does not consider the reserved time in the surfacing protocols or time allowed at depth as a gas supply function depending on manufacturer.

agree but the plan it has is based on using the say 10 ft setting for calculations of things like TTS. I may be wrong. If I shut off SS function,,,,, time to surface is shorter is shorter because it does not consider the reserved time in the surfacing protocols or time allowed at depth as a gas supply function depending on manufacturer.
Once again, if you are using O2 for your last stops, there will be no difference. If you are using something like 80%, it might make a difference of a minute. Maybe. (We had a thread a year or wto ago in which someone claculated it; I am not going to bother looking for it or calculating it myself.)

Is that precise TTS so very, very important? Are you waiting for an important phone call that has to take place at a precise moment?

Once again, if you are using O2 for your last stops, there will be no difference. If you are using something like 80%, it might make a difference of a minute. Maybe. (We had a thread a year or wto ago in which someone claculated it; I am not going to bother looking for it or calculating it myself.)

Is that precise TTS so very, very important? Are you waiting for an important phone call that has to take place at a precise moment?

Yes it can be precise for a set of givens,,, but will change as you proceed with the dive and deviate from the givens. much like tables are good so long as you do square profiles. leave the square profile and the table use is trashed. Perhaps I misunderstood your comment. the TTS is not important, It is for me more a status based on prediction and not a unchangable fact. TTS is telling me that if I follow the conditions i entered in my settings it will result in the displayed TTS. being in deco is just more conditions being in play.

this may be off topic a bit but isnt 10 ft for a SS a bit risky for a rec computer and the rec diver? doing a dive at 60 ft and being saturated at the depth and in 1 min going to 20 ft,,,, is going form 3 atm to 1.5 atm . pushing the limits of the 2:1 ratio. going to 10 feet with out a very slow ascent to 10 ft puts you well over the 2:1. sounds pretty risky for that option to be given to a new OW with no quality depth control.
Who is talking about doing a safety stop at 10 ft?

Who is talking about doing a safety stop at 10 ft?

as far as I know I was not talking about 10 ft SS. It was a comment questioning how others would think that the 20/10 setting was for SS., It doesnt make sense for the reasons in my post.

as far as I know I was not talking about 10 ft SS. It was a comment questioning how others would think that the 20/10 setting was for SS., It doesnt make sense for the reasons in my post.
I much prefer to see the safety stop described as being between 10 and 20 ft, not that it must be at exactly 15 ft (or metric equivalents). A group diving together all trying to hang onto the exact same 15 ft spot on an anchor/buoy line is a cluster.

I much prefer to see the safety stop described as being between 10 and 20 ft, not that it must be at exactly 15 ft (or metric equivalents). A group diving together all trying to hang onto the exact same 15 ft spot on an anchor/buoy line is a cluster.

I agree totally and that depends also on the depth of the dive it may be better to do the safety stop at 20-25 ft instead. I believe in condition based proceedures. I dont always know what is right but I am pretty good as identifying a failed plan in the making.

TTS is the equivalent of ETA on a maps app, its for rough planning purposes based on ideal conditions and then continual updates for estimates during the trip. You don't need to know down to the second or millisecond how much time you have left to your destination.

Feel like 20 feet and then 10 is limiting. Can we have 15?
Interesting. I've thought about this too but just learned to do an extra minute or so and blow off the whole issue.

But that is not what you are asking. I've had many very positive interactions with @Shearwater, most notably, the compass. I have no need to whine anymore, it is perfect.

So you want a final stop at your chosen (for whatever reason) depth. I totally get that, there is a rock at a (slightly annoying) shallow depth...

So, if you are diving the edge of your DC and want to know what is 'safe' at a given final stop, maybe ask Shearwater to calculate a stop time for your chosen final stop depth based on the ambient pressure you splashed with and your dive profile.

Interesting. I've thought about this too but just learned to do an extra minute or so and blow off the whole issue.

But that is not what you are asking. I've had many very positive interactions with @Shearwater, most notably, the compass. I have no need to whine anymore, it is perfect.

So you want a final stop at your chosen (for whatever reason) depth. I totally get that, there is a rock at a (slightly annoying) shallow depth...

So, if you are diving the edge of your DC and want to know what is 'safe' at a given final stop, maybe ask Shearwater to calculate a stop time for your chosen final stop depth based on the ambient pressure you splashed with and your dive profile.

Literally the only reason OP wants a 15' option for "last stop" is that he wants his TTS to be more accurate. Otherwise set it for 10' and do your last stop wherever you want. The computer is automatically updating deco obligation based on your actual depth.

IMHO, it isn't worth the hassle. Do some sample plans in MultiDeco with a 10 vs 15 last stop. Not much difference in TTS. I did the comparison for a 330' dive with a 2.5 hour run time and the difference was 4 minutes. YMMV based on gas selection but it just isn't material enough to me to care. I leave it at 10' and do my last stop wherever it is comfortable, whether that is 10, 15 or 20 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom