Fear of Deep/Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dramanine is good...

Recently I discovered scopolamine patches - WAY better than dramamine...

Just realize that Scopolomine may make you a little drowsy. Try it sans dive once or twice before going on that "gotta have" dive trip.

I personally find that being at 0 feet with 80 feet of water beneath me in 20 foot vis is much more stressful than being within 10 feet of the bottom in 20 foot vis at an 80 foot depth... (For me) once you get to the bottom, it isn't that scary. I also find that being at 50 feet in 20 foot vis is more stressful than being at 90 feet in 100 foot vis...

If you are a new diver who can handle being at 70 feet in 15 foot vis, you are doing very well. If you are doing this in a thick wetsuit, which can feel very restrictive (I can't tell your location), you are even better. When you next visit tropical waters, gin-blue with 100 foot vis and dive in your T-shirt, you will be a rock star.

Absolutely! My first dive to 100' was in about 6' of vis and wearing both a 7mil wetsuit and hood - first time for all of these (depth, vis, 7mm, and hood). I was pretty nervous until I "found" the bottom. Still get somewhat apprehensive just prior to going down, but once I'm there, it's all good.

Tom

Well, if you think about it, you took on three new deals at once. One is really OPEN water, the ocean, which is definitely NOT the shore you had experience with. Then the depth/vis and the bottom out of sight. And the realization that the instructor isn't there to pull you out. And, I guess, the boat as a new thing to deal with, aside from the open ocean.

I sympathize, since I'm new, too, and I know I wouldn't have fun right now leaping off into a low-viz bottomless void, even though I know it's no greater risk. I figure there's no one who can push me faster than I want to go but me. So I'll be getting comfortable managing all the basics in clear water, then in not too deep bottom in poor viz, and in clear, shallow ocean off a boat, and so on.

Always remember, it's supposed to be fun. It can still be fun when it's spiced by from stress, but it still has to be fun. Otherwise, why do it for fun.

Enjoying reading this thread. I am a brand new diver. I did my OW Cert. in Cozumel this past December 2010. I was fortunate to complete 6 dives in Coz with my very expereinced scuba friend. His eyes were on me for every dive and it helped with my nerves.

Now I'll be heading to Belize in March and want to dive but won't have my expert with me. I've only got 6 dives under my belt and my travel/scuba buddy has the OW Cert. but no dives.

So what to newbies do? Do we request or hire someone from the dive shop to be with us. Do we simply discuss this with the shop and give them the heads up that they have to very new divers?

What do you suggest?

Hire a DM from the scuba operation you go out with. At least until you feel comfy. Money well spent for safety but also the DM can point out and help find things of interest.

Now I'll be heading to Belize in March and want to dive but won't have my expert with me. I've only got 6 dives under my belt and my travel/scuba buddy has the OW Cert. but no dives.

So what to newbies do? Do we request or hire someone from the dive shop to be with us. Do we simply discuss this with the shop and give them the heads up that they have to very new divers?

What do you suggest?

Plan your dive and dive your plan.

Seriously, it's that easy. The Basic OW course won't turn you into some sort of Jacques Cousteau Junior, but it equipped you well enough to perform an easy dive. Otherwise they wouldn't have certified you.:wink:

Plan your dives to be on the shallower side, to be in areas that hopefully don't have a lot of current and/or surges, in areas that are not open blue water, plan on being conservative with bottom time and stay well away from the No Deco Limit time.

The sooner you learn how to plan and dive on your own, the faster you can become a better diver. NEVER TRUST YOUR SAFETY IN SOMEBODY ELSE'S HANDS no matter how "experienced" or "well trained" they are. You take care of you and yours first and rely on somebody else second.

Enjoying reading this thread. I am a brand new diver. I did my OW Cert. in Cozumel this past December 2010. I was fortunate to complete 6 dives in Coz with my very expereinced scuba friend. His eyes were on me for every dive and it helped with my nerves.

What do you suggest?
My advice is to do both of the things you ask about. Go to the shop, tell them you're both inexperienced, and ask for a DM to go out with you to the house reef for the first dive or two to help you familiarize yourself with it. Then try the same dive site with just the two of you, planning your dive and executing it as planned. When you feel confident, you might try a different but similar dive site by getting a good briefing from the shop first and then planning your dive. Make sure to tell someone each time you and your buddy go out together on your own, though. Baby steps.

Did my first OW dive in Bermuda in about 40 ft with poor vis. Can't wait to go to the Caribbean to dive and experience good vis. I couldn't have taken more than 40 feet.
I chummed as SOON as I got back on the boat between dives. Once that was over, I couldn't wait to get back in the water because at least I wasn't nauseous while diving. I agree that the scopolamine patch is good. Unfortunately, I had removed my patch 2 days prior to the dive! Take it slow as far as depth. That is what I intend to do until I reach a comfort level and have more experience.

I just finished my PADI OW last month and decided to try a boat dive recently. Besides feeling somewhat sick on the ride out, I also had some problems freaking out with suddenly going down into the ocean 60-75 feet with 10-15' of vis, when the OW was only a shore dive of about 30' max depth. Aside from Dramamine for the motion sickness, anyone have any advice on getting over this fear?

Haven't read any of the followups but I'll throw my .02 in the hat anyways.

Seasickness - I've had it, don't get it so much any more unless it's really rough (and in that case I'm probably going to stay on shore). If Dramamine works for you, I'd use it - it makes me sleepy so I don't use it. I tried some prescription stuff (don't recall the name), and it knocked me right out, so I don't use that either. I found patches to be more tolerable than pills. Eventually, I got used to it and at worst I get a little nauseous. P.S. Learn the proper technique for vomiting through your reg in case you get sick underwater.

Regarding "freaking out" doing a descent in deepish water in so-so visibility. That's probably vertigo. Were you doing a free descent or descending down a line? Avoid free descents whenever you can if you get vertigo - use a line when one is available, if one isn't, one technique I've used is to stay within touching distance of your buddy and maintain eye contact. Try to work out any anxiety you have at the surface - if you're feeling a bit anxious about the descent and find yourself breathing heavily, you can try putting your reg in and putting your face in the water and concentrate on slowing your breathing. Don't do your descent until you've got that issue worked out, and thumb the dive if you need to.

Do more shore dives - and during those dives practice free descents and descents with a visual reference or line in shallower water until you become more comfortable. Keep any anxiety you have to a manageable level, and if that means doing easier dives for now, so be it.

Even after ten years, I still don't LIKE to do free descents in so-so or poor visibility conditions, but I can if I have to. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

Just keep doing it. Your fear is probably of going too deep, losing control and drowning. That sucks for everyone. We've all been there.

You have to explain to yourself that water over your head is the same whether it is 6 feet or 600 feet. There really is no difference for a diver equipped to be buoyant and in control.

YOU have control over how deep you end up. Trust in your skills...and in yourself. You will get over it and enjoy the dive more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom