FD Rescue Diver Certification Route... Which way is better

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been sitting on the side lines on this thread because I am obviously biased. But now that a decision has been made, I would like to say "thank you" to all who posted and endorsed the Dive Rescue International programs.

Like many who read these threads, I entered the PSD community with a recreational dive card (actually an OWSI PADI card). When I attended my first Dive Rescue International class I was impressed by the course and ended up working my way through the Public Safety Scuba Instructor (PSSI) and Dive Rescue I Trainer (DRIT) programs. I was invited to join the DRI training staff and several years later I invested in the company (that's a pretty strong endorsement). Today I am one of the senior partners.

What I learned is unique about Dive Rescue International is no one person "runs the show" and no one "knows everything." It is a TEAM effort and it is through the support of fellow public safety divers that we are successful in delivering the message of safety. To Gary, Bridgediver, Dittrimd, erich k, rescuediver 12, James Croft and others, THANK YOU. Your comments, support and past recommendations are truly appreciated!

To LtJohnBFD, thank you also for having confidence in the Dive Rescue International programs. We look forward to earning your respect and being a partner in diver safety. Welcome to the team!

Fraternally,

Blades Robinson, Director
Dive Rescue International
www.DiveRescueIntl.com

As a diver trained by your organization thank you! I found the class informative and useful and the risk assessment portion very valuable! RSO 2000 to 2006.

One last comment for any department OSHA! Don't learn the hard way, we saved someone from another agency and OSHA investigated and opened a can of worms we never knew existed.... Cal-OSHA required us to have a operations manual and we chose the DRI model for our training in order to comply! It is the day when you have to be all in or not in at all! Don't let the liability monster eat your team! (Short version of long story)

Our department is hosting a Dive Rescue Class towards the end of May. I have talked to quite a few people who have had this training before us and also several who made it to Florida recently. We are looking forward to this training and to more in the future.

The Hennipin Co Sheriffs office. is offering a DR1 class on june 6 7 8 of 2008 at its office in mpls minn. Classroom and pool will be at their patrol office and open water TBA.
grumpie....

Hi,

There is a tentative Dive Rescue I class to be held in Mahtomedi MN at their fire station. The dates are to be determined. June 20-22 or June 27-29.
I will let all know when it's firmed up or keep your eyes on the Dive Rescue International web site.

Cheers,
Erich K
Scandia Fire
Washington County Fire Dive Rescue Team

What I learned is unique about Dive Rescue International is no one person "runs the show" and no one "knows everything." It is a TEAM effort and it is through the support of fellow public safety divers that we are successful in delivering the message of safety.

Blades Robinson, Director
Dive Rescue International
www.DiveRescueIntl.com

I'd like to add that there is no "I" in team and that ANY of our team members can call a dive at any time. Not just call it for them but call it for the entire team.

We had a rough recovery a couple of years ago. Truly zero or the lack of light vis and at 100' in the middle of the lake during heavy run off. The ROV was at the body with a bright light on. I never saw the light but when my head was between the victims hands I saw a faint reflection in the muck and was able to get a line on him.

Everyone of my team knew the conditions and those guys had the guts to stand there in front of everyone and say they didn’t want to do the dive for various reasons. Did I get upset? No way, I have never been prouder of any group of guys. These are cops and firemen standing there saying “NO” to something.

I did the dive with several suited as back-ups. Had I needed help or gotten into trouble they would have been all over me like the last donut in the box. But they had the balls to say no. Nobody ever questioned it or will ever question it. It takes a lot of confidence training to get to this point.

I learned that when I was a Navy diver and I have passed it onto the guys/gals on my team. But when it was reinforced by DRI training I think it really sank into them.

Thanks DRI

Gary D.

Thanks for the offer, but we have chosen our route and are requesting the funds and time to make it happen. I certainly appreciate everyone's input and helpful advice. i will post an update as soon as the rusty squeaky wheels of city government start to turn.
Regards,
Ltjohn
p.s. I am in Florida right now, will be heading to West Palm Beach area to visit my son from Monday to Friday, hopefully will be doing some diving while we are there for a week.

I am working with NAUI for a PSD, Would you like info?

Like we said, a course from a recreational agency isn't going to do much for those looking for real PSD training. I don't know why you guys always want to reinvent the wheel. Naui is no different than padi in this regard.

Stay on target John, your guys will do fine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom