FCMAX Doubt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
To what extent should we treat FC Max or MHR (Recommended Max heart rate) as an absolute limit?

I have a treadmill at home and I've been using it for some 10 years now on a regular basis 3x per week for 30 mins.
I do 30mins at 6mph at a slope of 8 degrees.

Alternate days I do 30 mins of gymnastics, mainly back & abdomen.

Now the thing is that I never paid any attention to my heart rate and my SO just bought me as a present one of those cardio-monitor watches with a chest band sensor.

I set it up according to the instructions
MHR = 220 - age, in my case 59 so MHR = 161
then I set up the aerobic upper and lower limits and went to use it.

To my surprise after a few minutes it went into alarm mode because I passed the 161 and I found I was holding a steady 170 - 180 for the remainder of the 30 minutes.

I do a complete check up every year and that includes a treadmill test but normally the doc interrupts the test when I hit around 172 on stage 6 (6mph at 15 degrees) after about 15mins with the comment that he doesn't need to push me beyond MHR for my age.

Asking around I get as many opinions as answers.

So what do you guys think?
Should I be easing off and let old age creep up on me or keep up the rhythm while I don't feel any ill effects ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom