Favorite shallow wreck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajb

Reaction score
OK, my son, junior OW, really wants to dive a wreck (obviously no penetration). What would you recommend for the BEST shallow wreck - probably warm water? We are trying to plan a trip or two this next year... Thinking about some stuff in the keys (Benwood)... Where would you go?

Tobermory Ontario has a nice selection of shallow wrecks and in August the water is wetsuit friendly. Most of them are 100 years old and some are reduced to rubble piles but the Sweepstakes and the Alice G are pretty whole. The "rubble piles" have some great features on them, anchors (like the one on the Wetmore), chain piles and serious details that you can still see like the color of the grout between the boards.
Ber :lilbunny:

Benwood or the City of Washington. The City of Washington is a little shallower than the Benwood. Max depth is maybe 30'.

I did my first check out dive on the Benwood in 1977. 30 years later I still love diving on it.

Dive site: The City of Washington - Wreck -UpperKeysDivesites.com: Scuba diving in Paradise, the upper Florida Keys scuba divers Key Largo to Islamorada with underwater tropical reef fish in John Pennekamp State Park and see maps of wrecks at divesho

Never dove the City of Washington. Benwood would be good but he'd only have access to the shallower portions. Barracuda feeding huh? That sounds pretty cool...

Never thought about going to Ontario diving... :) the wrecks look pretty intact... thank you!

Definitely Key Largo for shallow wrecks. I dove the Benwood and Washington several times on trips there. Not much left of either one of them but still fun to dive. The Speigle Grove, Duane and Eagle are some other good dives but not for a Junior.

I second the Tobermory recommendation. The Alice G and 3 other tugs are all shore dives at Little Tub Harbour in Toby. There's a wooden deck and stairs down to the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom