Favorite place to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snowdog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Favorite place to dive?We all have our favorite place to dive, one of the first few questions Divers get from Non-Divers has to be… “Where’s your favorite place to Dive?”
My response is always… “Wherever I’m diving next!”
Any Thoughts?

My first response is "in the ocean." But, then I drop the snark and say Bonaire. Calm seas, light current, great viz, a couple of wrecks, tons of sites, unlimited diving and all of the marine life a photog could ask for.

Wow, that'd be tough ...

I love Bonaire ... diving's easy and there's lots to see.

On the other hand ... the drift dives in Komodo were way more stunning ... it's just a lot harder to get there

On the other hand ... the walls at Browning Pass (north Vancouver Island) are as stunning as Komodo ... it's just a lot more challenging to dive there

On the other hand ... cave diving stimulates the senses in ways that open water diving just doesn't

On the other hand ... Lembeh Straits has some of the most outrageous looking marine critters on the planet

On the other hand ... I can find some pretty neat looking critters at my local mudhole pretty much anytime I feel like diving

(sigh) ... I need more hands ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob has hit the nail on the head.... It's not an easy answer.
That's why I respond with the CANNED response “Wherever I’m diving next!”

Another vote for Browning Pass (British Columbia, Canada). Cousteau said it was one of the top ten destinations world-wide.

For warm water, the outer islands of the Seychelles (Indian Ocean), including Aldabra Atoll, are spectacular and seldom-visited. On Aldabra I did my only 5-knot drift dive ever over an intact coral reef wall.

Another vote for Browning Pass (British Columbia, Canada). Cousteau said it was one of the top ten destinations world-wide.

... and unlike the other nine, it hasn't changed much since Cousteau was there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am a crazy California cold water diver, will dive anywhere a 7mm will take me. But, favorite place would be any warm water diving :D

Then again, Great Barrier reef was pretty spectacular!

Bob, that was too too funny and too too sad. Thanks, am laughing out loud as I type.

I'm lucky to live in this PNW sphere and lucky to be able to tolerate cold water. So much to see, so few dive ops.

Free Willie:

First time out on the GBR I saw my first giant clams, bigger than me. Their coloration gave me a flashback to some '60s acid trips.*

*Note to readers: this is not a recommendation.

Fiji - Yellow and Noel's walls (Tavenui area). Big walls, tons of fish and corals (soft and hard), huge sea fans, little or no current (when we did it - several times), no big stuff at that time but reported to be there. That's my favorite for now until I get a new one.

Better than any Caribbean diving I have done (but haven't done it all). Seychelles and Maldives on my list of to do's.

On top of these walls and one of my favorite photos I took from the trip:

UW_landscape_48rc.jpg

I have some rude answers, but I'll keep those to myself.

I'd have to say I honestly haven't found a favorite place yet. I've snorkeled and dived all over the world in lots of different conditions but so far I've liked it all. Even the cold dark waters of our local quarry have something to offer. I'll agree with your assessment "wherever I'm diving next" is probably the right answer for me.

Back
Top Bottom